Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't this thunderbolt cable connect my 2 macs so I can screen share?

I just purchased a thunderbolt cable expecting to be able to plug it in to both of my macs and be able to screen share. Ex being one screen would have safari while the other iTunes and be able to go back and forth. Nothing comes up and there is no option in the display settings. Also nothing happens when I select Command-f2 to open up TDM. I have a 2009 macbook and a 2012 desktop. I really can't figure out why they just won't connect. Please help. I really hope I didn't just waste my money. Thanks.

Posted on May 16, 2015 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2015 5:21 PM

Screen sharing is not done over Thunderbolt cable. Target Display Mode uses a Thunderbolt cable to connect the iMac to the MacBook in order to display the MBP's screen on the iMac's display. This only goes in one direction, not both.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

Target Display Mode- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

iMac- How to use your iMac as a Target Display Mode display

Target Display Mode 2011 & Later iMacs

Target Display Mode And Thunderbolt

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2015 5:21 PM in response to itscamcollins

Screen sharing is not done over Thunderbolt cable. Target Display Mode uses a Thunderbolt cable to connect the iMac to the MacBook in order to display the MBP's screen on the iMac's display. This only goes in one direction, not both.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

Target Display Mode- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

iMac- How to use your iMac as a Target Display Mode display

Target Display Mode 2011 & Later iMacs

Target Display Mode And Thunderbolt

Why won't this thunderbolt cable connect my 2 macs so I can screen share?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.