Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the exclamation point/mark on the apple mail title bar?

What is the exclamation point/mark on the apple mail title bar? Why does apple mail believe the server certificate is an impersonation for an IMAP server address assigned for one of my email addresses and how do I correct? It wasn't an issue before.

Thank you

Posted on May 16, 2015 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2015 1:33 AM

The ! means there is a problem.

What mail account is it?

Can you access the account on another device or app not including webmail? Maybe a problem with the provider.

The certificate is what is used to very that yo are really connected to the mail provider.

Some times the provider has problems. A month or so ago Google had a similar problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2015 1:33 AM in response to Namemyuser

The ! means there is a problem.

What mail account is it?

Can you access the account on another device or app not including webmail? Maybe a problem with the provider.

The certificate is what is used to very that yo are really connected to the mail provider.

Some times the provider has problems. A month or so ago Google had a similar problem.

May 17, 2015 10:04 AM in response to lllaass

Hello Illaass:

Thank you, I think you answered my questions. I can access the same accounts from my iPhone and Yahoo account. I checked my email this morning on my mac mini desktop and the issue corrected itself, mail downloaded.

Now, what I found strange is that I have another account that has duplicated itself on my apple mail. One account has the IMAP address that I tried to change the incoming pop server name on. The new duplicate mailbox that appeared is set to the IMAP server name. What would cause that to happen? In summary, when I log into preferences I see two icons for the same mailbox that display the mailbox name and below it also displays Yahoo! IMAP. When i look at the settings, one is set to the att pop name that i had changed it to and the new mailbox that appeared shows the imap yahoo name.

Hope you can help.

What is the exclamation point/mark on the apple mail title bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.