Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 - Purchase in USA or Europe or Israel to get service in Israel?

I currently live in Israel and am planning to buy an iPhone 6. I could buy it either at

1) the Tel Aviv Airport Duty Free store -- this is not an Apple Store -- or

2) at the Apple Store in London or

3) at the Apple Store in New York

but I would like to make sure that I can get it serviced under warranty in Israel, if need be.

I have heard that phones in the US and phones in Europe are under a different warranty ... meaning that a phone bought in London can be serviced under warranty in Israel but a phone bought in the US cannot.

I have also heard that a phone bought in Israel can be serviced under warranty at any Apple Store in Europe AND in the USA.

I have also heard that the warranty is only valid in the country of purchase.

Can anybody clear up the confusion for me?

Thanks!

iPhone 4

Posted on May 16, 2015 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2015 10:12 PM

ld2154 wrote:

I currently live in Israel and am planning to buy an iPhone 6. I could buy it either at

but I would like to make sure that I can get it serviced under warranty in Israel, if need be.

I have heard that phones in the US and phones in Europe are under a different warranty ... meaning that a phone bought in London can be serviced under warranty in Israel but a phone bought in the US cannot.

I have also heard that a phone bought in Israel can be serviced under warranty at any Apple Store in Europe AND in the USA.

Thanks!

A phone bought in Israel cannot be serviced anywhere but where purchased. The warranty for the iPhone is only valid in the country of purchase. The only difference is the EU, which is considered one country for warranty service. Israel is not a member of the EU.

Warranty for US phone only good in the US, and the US bands for LTE will not work in Israel.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2015 10:12 PM in response to ld2154

ld2154 wrote:

Thanks!

A phone bought in Israel cannot be serviced anywhere but where purchased. The warranty for the iPhone is only valid in the country of purchase. The only difference is the EU, which is considered one country for warranty service. Israel is not a member of the EU.

Warranty for US phone only good in the US, and the US bands for LTE will not work in Israel.

May 17, 2015 4:48 AM in response to ld2154

Thanks, Chris. That's very helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean about the US bands for LTE. I do know that my partner is using his American iPhone 4 in Israel and it seems to work fine. Can you explain further? (I want to be able to make an informed decision about where to purchase! :-) )

From what I can tell the iPhone 6 A1586 is what I need to use in the UK and Israel. Is that model also supported in the US and in Thailand (those are the countries I travel regularly to)

May 17, 2015 6:41 AM in response to ld2154

Note that the Apple warranty is valid only in the country in which the phone was originally purchased. If the duty-free shop (which, you say, is not an authorized Apple reseller) purchased the phone for resale, and it was bought outside Israel, the warranty will not be honored in Israel. Nor will Apple service the phone in Israel, even if it is out of warranty service. You should purchase the phone in a country to which you can physically return it for service.

As to compatability with LTE service for various models, review this chart from the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

May 17, 2015 7:23 AM in response to ld2154

You are likely hearing misinformation based on the fact that Apple treats the EU and only the EU as one Country for warranty purposes

ie an Apple iPhone purchased in one EU Country can be serviced and warranty honoured in any other EU Country.

That is the ONLY exception to the comments from the other responders

Israel is NOT part of the EU

It is most likely these iPhones are sourced from just about anywhere which means they could be unwarranted .I would be very surprised if they were iPhones shipped by Apple to Israel

The only way to have warranty in Israel is to buy from the Apple Approved suppliers in Israel ,which looks like the approved carriers

May 17, 2015 8:58 AM in response to wegras

Thanks for all of this.

I've discovered the duty free store say they are "Apple's official importer in Israel" so I guess that means they are an authorized reseller and they are offering a one year manufacturer's guarantee.

I haven't found that store mentioned anywhere on the Apple website ... It's called A.L.M... and I know that in other parts of the country the approved reseller is called iDigital...

May 17, 2015 9:30 AM in response to ld2154

I have never seen a duty free store as an official importer. Besides that, Apple does not call them official importers, they are authorized resellers. If the store cannot get it correct, they it isn't. If they are not listed on the Apple website as an authorized reseller, then they are not. You also have to check to see what they are authorized to resell. Not all resellers can sell all products. They would be listed on the Apple site.

The comment about LTE is that not all phones support all the LTE bands in all countries. The US phone supports the LTE bands in North America. It will not support LTE bands outside of the US.

As everyone has told you earlier, if you want a device you are sure will work in your country, and will be warrantied in your country, buy it there.

Iphone 6 - Purchase in USA or Europe or Israel to get service in Israel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.