Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAN I REPLACE MY HARD DRIVE WITH A SSD ON MY MID 2010 MAC MINI

WAS UPDATING MY OS TO YOSEMITY WHEN MAC MINI FAILED. TOOK IT TO APPLE STORE FOR DIAGNOSIS. WAS TOLD IT NEEDS A NEW HARD DRIVE. A FRIEND OF MINE GOT ME A REPLACEMENT HARD DRIVE. WE INSTALLED IT , IT WORKED BUT IN "ABOUT THIS MAC/MEMORY" SECTION WINDOW SAID RAM WAS OK BUT I SAW IT ALSO SAID "ECC-DISABLED" THE COMPUTER RAN BUT THERE WAS ALWAYS A HICUP IN PERFORMANCE. ONCE AGAIN WAS UPDATING OS WHEN COMPUTER FAILED AGAIN. SO MY QUESTION IS CAN I UPGRADE MY HARD DRIVE WITH A SOLID STATE DRIVE?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 16, 2015 9:52 PM

1 reply

May 17, 2015 1:29 AM in response to Community User

Yes, you can replace the rotating HD with a SSD.

ECC is

Error-correcting code memory (ECC memory) is a type of computer data storage that can detect and correct the most common kinds of internal data corruption. ECC memory is used in most computers where data corruption cannot be tolerated under any circumstances, such as for scientific or financial computing.

The only Macs with ECC memory are the Mac Pro desktops.

I recommend that you run Apple Diagnostics to help determine the cause of the problem.

Using Apple Diagnostics - Apple Support

If no problems reported run this and post the results here. Al describe better the problems you are having

EtreCheck

CAN I REPLACE MY HARD DRIVE WITH A SSD ON MY MID 2010 MAC MINI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.