Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Persistent spinning beachball slowing down MBP Mavericks

I have been experiencing this problem for almost a month now. My MBP was running smoothly, It all started when I upgraded to yosemite. I tried all the fixes out there to no avail. I had to re-format my hdd and clean reinstalled maverics from recovery twice but nothing seems to have improved. I have very few apps installed at the moment, but it's crazy slow!

I've been following several solutions by Linc Davis and sometimes I've got few improvements but it only last for few minutes and the beachball is back spinning on almost every click!

Please Mr. Davis kindly assist. I've run the spript you proposed on one of the discussions and this is the link to my pastebin : http://pastebin.com/5Cf9zz3X

I will greatly appreciate your help!

/Kozzo

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2.9Ghz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Posted on May 16, 2015 11:32 PM

3 replies

May 17, 2015 5:50 AM in response to kozzo2015

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

May 17, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

thank you for the suggestion. However, I find it hard to imagine how the drive would fail due to an upgrade! I tried the Apple diagnostics test and everything seemed to be fine!

Making a Genius appointment is out of question to me (I'd have to travel +500km to the nearest one!). So I'd appreciate any other suggestion to fix this.

Regards!

May 17, 2015 6:37 AM in response to kozzo2015

I find it hard to imagine how the drive would fail due to an upgrade!

It's quite common. The sudden burst of write activity pushes a drive on the verge of failure over the edge.

I tried the Apple diagnostics test and everything seemed to be fine!

That doesn't prove anything. The log messages that refer to uncorrected drive errors prove that the drive is malfunctioning.

I'd appreciate any other suggestion to fix this.

I made another suggestion: go to an independent service provider. If you want to take the chance that the drive itself, and not some other component, is failing, you can replace it yourself.

Persistent spinning beachball slowing down MBP Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.