Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you buy an iphone 6 without a data plan?

I want an iphone 6 but I can't buy a plan for it right now. I can I buy one without any sort of data plan and still use it? Will it still be only $200?

iPhone 6

Posted on May 16, 2015 8:45 PM

8 replies

Aug 5, 2017 9:51 AM in response to Michael Black

I'm relatively new to owning an iPhone. My post is accurate today and that was the case in Spring of 2016, when I activated my iPhone SE.

The AT&T Prepaid plan (known as GoPhone until recently) is mostly for dumb phones, but is compatible with any unlocked phone.

It seems Apple began selling unlocked iPhones in the fall of 2015, so the May 2015 post was probably accurate at the time.

May 17, 2015 6:44 AM in response to just wondering...

In the USA you can buy a 16GB iPhone 6, carrier unlocked and without a service contract, for $649.00 plus tax at any Apple Store (a 16GB iPhone 6+ is $749.00 plus tax, and increasing the storage to 64GB or 128GB increases that base price).

If you want a discounted price, then you will have to buy a discounted phone and that means accepting some form of service contract with a carrier. But yes, for the full retail price, you can buy an unlocked iPhone 6 or 6+ without a service contract.

You can easily find out the local prices for your country by simply going to the Apple web store for your country - those prices are the same as you'll get at a retail Apple Store.

Of course, until you do add service to one, it will effectively be a wifi-only device. To get cellular telephone and cellular data service, you will have to set up service with a carrier (either contract service or pay as you go, but you'll need service with a carrier for cellular data, text and voice features).

Honestly, I do not understand the point of buying a phone if you cannot afford cellular service for it? Why not just wait until you can afford service and get it then?

May 25, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Michael Black

Well, in my case, it is not about the cellular service, it is about the internet access/$30 per month that I would never use. I want to replace my current plain cellphone in one pocket and iPod in the other with one device to rule them all. WiFi is all I need, but I have MANY apps in daily use, none of which require 'net access. The phrase used was 'data plan', not cell plan. To me, that implies internet. Don't want it (though i would be fine if it were strictly pay-as-you go with no monthly fee.

My son-in-law could not live without his data access, I get it. But i spent a couple months last year analyzing my phone, app, internet and info needs. Last year, I would have spent less than an hour on the 'net (and I am on it all day in my home office) and more than 50 hours per week on apps. My internet would thus cost $30 * 12 = $360 per HOUR, and I already pay AT&T's "no-longer-unlimited-though-that's-what-we-promised" 150G limited plan.. Why would I throw that money away - why would give it to the company that offers the worst data service in any developed nation? ? My cell phone works fine, but is a five-year-old brick, and my iPod is getting long in the tooth, no longer accepting system updates. It would be great to buy a device that could do both without fees for unused or underused features.

Anyway, that's the point, sort of - there are many different ways of incorporating communications into your life, and providers would find a vast market if they would make the leap and behave as service providers rather than bullies.

May 25, 2015 1:44 PM in response to David Kempton

The problem will be finding a carrier willing to sell you a voice-only cellular plan. At one time none in the US were willing to. You can call around and ask. As has already been said, if you are willing to pay full price you can get an iPhone without any plan. Note also that some features of the phone will not work without a data plan, most notably Visual Voicemail, MMS messaging, Push email and Notifications, as all of these use cellular data only.

May 25, 2015 1:49 PM in response to David Kempton

David Kempton wrote:

It would be great to buy a device that could do both without fees for unused or underused features.

Anyway, that's the point, sort of - there are many different ways of incorporating communications into your life, and providers would find a vast market if they would make the leap and behave as service providers rather than bullies.

That, sadly, is not the nature of Phone Service Carriers. If you find one to whom profit and shareholders are of no importance then please share.

Thanks

Pete

Can you buy an iphone 6 without a data plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.