Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stopping iCloud Photo Library?

I'm trying to use the iCloud Photo Library service where my photos are in iCloud. It is taking forever to upload 48,000 photos to the point that that service does not make sense to use as I want to go back to having my photos just local. Yet, when I turn off the iCloud Photo Service, I get the following message which has me concerned.

Your iCloud Photo Library is currently updating.

If you turn off iCloud Photo Library photos and videos that have not been fully downloaded will be removed from this Mac. These items will still be available on other devices using iCloud.

to ensure all items are on this device, allow the update to finish before turning this off.

Sounds like I just can't turn it off while it's updating and that I have to let it go doing what it is doing.

Is this correct?

iWeb '08, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:02 AM

6 replies

May 17, 2015 6:19 AM in response to B60boy

Sounds like I just can't turn it off while it's updating and that I have to let it go doing what it is doing.

Is this correct?

If you enabled "Optimise Mac Storage" this is correct. Then some of your photos may still be only in iCloud. You have to disable "Optimise Mac Storage" and wait for all photos to download again from iCloud, before you disable iCloud Photo Library.

See the last paragraph (Stop using iCloud Photo Library) on this Help Page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/phtf5e48489c

May 25, 2015 8:10 AM in response to léonie

I think that I need to go back to the old way of local photo library. 50K photo's will take me about two years to upload and the speed that I'm going at. I need to be careful it sounds like to download back to my mac the iCloud photos that is has pulled into iCloud and then I can turn it off. My library is too big for the cloud, or at least the way Apple is implementing it.

Aug 15, 2015 7:11 PM in response to léonie

This is my problem, only they won't finish uploading from iCloud to my MacBook Air. I have been trying to get photos onto my laptop for over a week, but there are about 30-40 that still say "loading iCloud photo". The updating bar in Photo Preferences isn't moving at all. Not to mention, when i go to iCloud.com, the same 30-40 photos aren't there either. My computer says they're in iCloud, but they're not in iCloud Photo Library. I don't know where the **** they are!

Stopping iCloud Photo Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.