Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an existing router; replace it with the the Time Capsule or just connect the TC to it?

I have an existing router, a Netgear N900 (not AC, just N). Should I replace it with the the Time Capsule or just connect the TC to a free Output Ethernet on the Netgear?

Either way will work and either way I'll get the higher speed (AC) of the Time Capsule. Ideally I should remove and retire the Netgear and use the TC only. But, the Netgear is perfectly usable still.

Current configuration is, AT&T DSL modem in bridge mode => Netgear N900 => main router/Wap for house. So what's probably best in the long run is replace the Netgear with the TC...and this question is probably unnecessary since it's been answered generally before.

Before I go to the hassle of switching just want to confirm it's best, or, perhaps confirm a full replacement offers no advantages.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:38 AM

3 replies

May 17, 2015 3:10 PM in response to buggsy2

AT&T DSL modem in bridge mode => Netgear N900

What is the exact model of the DSL modem?

Do try the TC in PPPoE mode.. however as a warning.. The TC may fail or be unstable. There are a number of reports of people having severe issues with PPPoE client in the apple routers.. myself included..

I am forced to run something similar.. a bridge modem.. a netgear WNDR3800 router doing PPPoE and then my Apple wireless products. This is fine though.. and the backup from the TC works well.

I have an existing router; replace it with the the Time Capsule or just connect the TC to it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.