Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I know my battery should be replaced, but is that all of the problem?

I am using a MacBookPro8,1 with non-removable battery. Recently that battery charging status was

Replace soon
. But it was working fine and kept enough charge for my daily works. So I didn't need to take the charger at work. But I shut down the laptop for few minutes and then I cannot turn it on without the charger plugged in.

The battery status is now

Replace Now
. when I press Battery indicator button at side of laptop case, all LEDs start blinking at same time (5 times).

the mage-safe LED is also green.

Also Mac OSX shows that 98% of the battery is charged.

But when the laptop is off, pressing the Battery indicator button doesn't turn on any LEDs (Normally it should turn on all LEDs as it is charged 98%)

Also, more importantly when I plug out the charger the computer turns off instantly. Not even with a second delay.

On the other side, when I turn on the laptop the time goes to 2001.

Another issue, my laptop speed decrease considerably with this plugged in condition. I tried to apply this approach (DhalgrenJul 2, 2013 7:04 PM ), but it didn't helped.

I tried to rest SMC by holding Shift+crtl+option+power and then releasing them at same time while the computer was off. Then I pressed turn off/on button.

I know my battery should be replaced, but is that all of the problem? Or Does it have other issues?

Did I correctly reset SMC with that approach?

Is there anything I can do to use this battery a bit longer and postpone buying a new one?

Thanks for your reply.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 17, 2015 2:37 AM

12 replies

May 17, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Next2me

If your MBP set the date to a default value (2001) that indicates that there wad a moment of the battery being totally disconnected from the MBP. Based on the information that you have provided, it heavily points to a battery failure. I recommend a replacement either from Apple or OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple/Laptop/Batteries

I urge you to avoid bargain priced batteries from ebay and the like. Most are cheap knockoffs.

Note that a defective battery can start to expand and damage the MBP. Replace it as quickly as you can.

Ciao.

May 17, 2015 7:50 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for your reply OGELTHORPE .

So, if the problem is with the battery I am going to order and replace it this week. But I have to add little points which may help for better diagnose the problem.

As I said before, the battery charging indicator (8 leds) doesn't respond when pressing its little button at the laptop side. When it's plugged, pressing that button makes all 8 lights to blink at same time(5 times). When I am in the OSX, the battry charging level is 98% and status is charged but replace now.

The laptop doesn't turn on by pressing power button even when its plugged in. But by plunging it in and then plunging out and then plunging it in, the laptop starts automatically (without pressing the power button.) .

Are all these in accordance with a battery failure?

Thanks so much.

May 17, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Next2me

"Did I correctly reset SMC with that approach? "

Seem like you did the right procedure but with a totally failed battery that won't do any good.( As Ogelthorpe has pointed out.) I.E. the state of the battery won't change even if you reset SMC because the battery is dead.

"Is there anything I can do to use this battery a bit longer and postpone buying a new one?"

No as Miracle Max says "There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead." In this case it's all dead.

On a separate note,

" Few month ago I had a problem regarding to my charger and I fixed it at home by replacing 2 capacitors in it."

How did you know which capacitors to replace? and that the charger is putting out the correct voltage? A malfunctioning charger could have caused the battery to fail but then at ~ 4 years old the battery is most likely end of life. A bad charger could also harm your MBP.

May 17, 2015 9:21 AM in response to spudnuty

Thanks for you reply spudnuty .

I am now almost convinced that the problem is with the battery and it should be replaced.

I opened the casing and removed the battery to check its model. I ordered a new battery and the computer is now running without the battery connected. I hope the oscillations that may exit in my electricity doesn't hurt my laptop as it doesn't have any battery now.

To address your last comment about capacitors:

How did you know which capacitors to replace?

The top of a blown capacitor will be slightly bent outwards in a convex shape, rather than flat or slightly indented inwards like a working capacitor.

and that the charger is putting out the correct voltage?

Well, I had an old VCD player and found the capacitors with the Same characteristics there. So, as the capasitors were identical to thoese blown one, I expect it reveals the same voltage at the output.

🙂

May 17, 2015 8:30 PM in response to Next2me

I hope the oscillations that may exit in my electricity doesn't hurt my laptop as it doesn't have any battery now.

OK it should be ok. It has been said that running w/o a battery will slow performance but won't hurt the MBP.

"The top of a blown capacitor will be slightly bent outwards in a convex shape, rather than flat or slightly indented inwards like a working capacitor."

Exactly, that's actually part of the "capacitor plague":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Nice to see that it's the plague that keeps on giving. I'm always surprised to see that rear it's ugly head over and over.

The scenario for that is like a James Bond movie but w/o the babes.

I think the replacement of your battery will solve your problem.

May 18, 2015 1:04 AM in response to Next2me

Just for my own information, do you have any idea of the date of manufacture of your power supply?

I have 4 60 Watt'ers at my desk, in front of the TV and 2 on my workbench.

1 - 2005, 2 -2006 and 1 -2010. So the first three are definitely in the range of the plague.

How did you get the case apart and back together if I may ask?

Thanks in advance for the info. Never thought about failures in these being due to the plague but now will keep that in mind.

May 18, 2015 2:02 AM in response to spudnuty

The original power supply that came with my MBP had been broken 2 years ago. I don't know what date it was. The damage was due to some ICs and capacitors failure and it was so severe, unrepairable.

Then I got a cheap Chinese model and it worked for me for a year and half. then its, Magasafe IC, and 2 capacitors had been broken.

I changed that magasafe IC with my early original broken charger. And Also found some capacitors with the same labels in an old VCR in our basement.

As I am checking it now, its 2010 model.

To open the charger case, use a pair of needle nose pliers and some leverage ,on the place that it has for tied the wire, to crack open the case along its two halves.

For opening the casing you can use the tutorials that are used for cord damage. The casing part is same.

Besides, About my battery problem, I am going to buy some cells and fix it while I am waiting for a new one. I think it would be better to have alternative.

I know my battery should be replaced, but is that all of the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.