Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update CPU and logic board in Mac Pro, possible, worth it?

This may well be theoretical and not so practical, major updating of hardware tends not to be, but my 2008 Mac Pro is struggling. After this amount of time I would ordinarily think that is about time to replace my computer but the problem is I just don't find the current model practical. I know it is heretical but I've even considered going back to a PC to get everything back up to speed.

I'm not sure about the logic of the arrangement, severely limited internal drive, no optical drives, is there anything that can be upgraded later or is it all major surgery once it has left the factory, like the minis, imacs and laptops. I know, you can get all that by buying all the all the bits separately plug them in and have wires and bits all over the desk, or in my case all over the floor.

So, as I wont be buying a new Mac Pro and I'd like to investigate this option before I give a PC serious consideration, is it possible to gut my machine and then bring it up to a reasonably current standard or is that just too much work?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Series 1

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:51 AM

4 replies

May 17, 2015 8:13 AM in response to farmant

No details given to current config hardware or bsoftware apps.

You can improve what you have: yours should work, not the best and sometimes just a clean install and SSD is all that was needed, and new GPU perhaps.

Clean install

PCIe-SSD XP941 or SM951

8x2GB FBDIMM

GTX 970

2x4TB HGST HDD

Except the FBDIMMs all of above can go to 2009-2012 "cMP" Classic Mac Pro

2009+ with 3.4GHz 6- or 12-core and cost less and give any nMP a run for its money

May 17, 2015 3:39 PM in response to farmant

I've made the decision to upgrade pretty much everything on my 2010 MacPro ... and found things here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/MacPro/2009_2010_Xeon_Processor/Upgrade/? utm_source=diglloyd-mpg

that have been really helpful.

The best upgrades are possible on the 2010-2012 model, so I would think about upgrading to that if you want it to last you for a few more years . . . I think with the upgrades I'm currently doing on my own macpro I should be able to stave off moving to the garbage can for several years - maybe even long enough to have Mac come back with a more modular system...? A girl can dream... :-)

Update CPU and logic board in Mac Pro, possible, worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.