Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.2 crashing during edits

There has been quite a bit trouble with the 10.2 upgrade and using older libraries etc., but the problem here is crashing with newly created libraries and projects.

My crashes occur mainly during trimming of videos. As soon as I try to reduce the clip length for instance, bam the program halts, then comes up with the crash report. This can happen multiple times per hour. Apple's getting a lot of crash reports from my machine.

I've noticed that it involves a kernel panic that refers to an invalid address.

I am on a first model (2012) 15" MBP with retina display running OS X 10.10.3.

Initially I figured it was to do with the updating of libraries etc., but it's still happening with completely new footage, libraries, events and projects.

I've done permissions and disk repairs, which seemed to work with older existing projects that came over from the previous OS and FCPX, but starting a whole new project has caused it to re-occur.

Thanks for any help.

andrew

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 17, 2015 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2015 5:48 AM

What is the configuration of the computer, RAM, VRAM ? Start with the usual first delete preferences holding down alt and cmd when you start FCPX. Have you updated to version 10.2.1 ?

9 replies

May 18, 2015 12:22 AM in response to innocentius

Thanks Innocentius and Russ H.

I've deleted the prefs and will see how it goes from there and look into 10.2.1

I'll push FCPX hard and see how it responds.

The MBP has 16GB Ram, 1GB Vram, driving a Thunderbolt display. All the libraries are on an external USB3 drive. Never had this problem before in 3 years.

Although this is one of the machines eligible for, I think a graphics board replacement?

Jun 4, 2015 3:26 AM in response to Mutters

I have been encountering similar issue like yours, even though I have the latest macbook pro retina 2015 (2.8ghz, 1tb PCI-e SSD, Yosemite 10.10.3).

The crashes happened mostly during skimming in the timeline (I normally would transcode the footages to proxy, the skimming was fast and smooth before it just freezed all of sudden, not just FCPX froze, the whole OS froze, I had to held down the power button to restart the laptop.

I've also posted a message about this issue.

FCPX 10.2 crashing during edits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.