Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Screen issues

Watch: 42mm, stainless steel, iOS 8.2

Problem: Touch screen extremely unreliable, ~50% of the time will not respond to touches or swipes. Then starts responding haphazardly, and often incorrectly, as if though it is registering a "touch" elsewhere on the screen and is now averaging between the two touches. When the rest of the screen registers touches, the upper right seems problematic. Will often not register #1 or #2 on passcode screen. Digital crown works well to scroll, as does the other button.

Sometimes powering down and restarting helps, sometimes not. Hard to say if it would have returned to being responsive if just left alone.

Anyone else with similar problems?

No Apple store in my town, closest is 1.5hrs away.

<Re-Titled by Host>

Apple Watch, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 7:00 AM

Hi

If your Apple Watch does not respond to touchscreen inputs as expected, then the following steps may help:

Remove any screen protector, case or bumper that you may have fitted to your Apple Watch.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Clean and dry your Apple Watch, being sure to follow Apple's cleaning instructions:

Restart (normally) your Apple Watch and iPhone, turning both devices off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2017 7:00 AM in response to BonnieOgden

Hi

If your Apple Watch does not respond to touchscreen inputs as expected, then the following steps may help:

Remove any screen protector, case or bumper that you may have fitted to your Apple Watch.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest compatible software versions, starting with your iPhone:

Clean and dry your Apple Watch, being sure to follow Apple's cleaning instructions:

Restart (normally) your Apple Watch and iPhone, turning both devices off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

May 17, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Jonas4321

Out of the box, mine didn't work AT ALL. After calling Apple and resetting the Apple Watch multiple times, when I finally plugged it in, it mysteriously started working. That was Thursday night. It's now Sunday night and I went to turn my Hue Lights on in my dining room to eat dinner and NADA. The display is completely unresponsive. I've unpaired the watch from my iPhone and still nothing.

Jun 22, 2015 6:19 PM in response to Jonas4321

I discovered \that people with big fingers like me have problems paging through the special emoji in Messages. Both the "Genius" at the Houston Apple store and myself entered an engineering report. I do not have a problem with other applications on the iWatch. Both my wife and I are having problems with answering a phone call on our iWatches which may or may not be a touch screen issue.

Jun 24, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Jonas4321

I have the same intermittent problem with the touch screen on the 38mm "Watch" after a month of use. At various, unpredictable times, it will be totally unresponsive to touch or behave erratically when touched. The "fix" that works for me is to reconnect the phone to the magnetic charging disk (regardless of how much charge remains). After some time, typically an hour or more, the screen is responsive again after removing the watch from the charger. Very strange behavior and clearly not good.

Jun 27, 2015 6:01 AM in response to john corey jr

I have had my watch @3 months. A couple of weeks ago, the screen started acting funny in the afternoons. If I put watch on charger, it would respond fine again. Somewhere on one on these threads, a responder suggested someone turn watch off as part of troubleshooting process. This advice made me realize that I had never turned my watch off.

I turned my watch off, maybe for a minute, a few days ago and display has been stable since. I'd you are reading this, your mileage may vary.

Jun 29, 2015 3:40 AM in response to Jonas4321

I've got a Steel 42cm and the screen just stopped working properly two days ago ... about 1/2 the time it works perfectly ... 1/4 of the time it does not work AT ALL ... ie nothing responds on the screen at all ... ZERO... and 1/4 of the time it works completely randomly ... I"ve tried the digital touch app and found that you can only draw on a portion of the screen... ie when you try and colour in the whole screen , a section of it remains blank... and this section moves from top to bottom etc... basically, the phone is stuffed and I have to take it back to Apple... I"ve tried all the fixes including hard re set , reinstall etc , charging and emptying battery, none of that works. Its either a dud watch or seriously big problem with Applewatch.

Jul 1, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Jonas4321

42mm Space Gray Sports.

Exact same problem, touch screen is unreliable, sometimes it works, other times left hand side doesn't work at all. Tonight the screen flashes on so briefly It's almost impossible to read the time and impossible to retrieve messages or view notifications. Often difficult to customise as force touch is unreliable too. It's fiddly to retrieve messages or do anything on it really. I'm not overly disappointed because I've never been quite convinced about this product and so bought the cheapest one just to satisfy my curiosity. That satisfied and the novelty has thoroughly worn off, I think it's time to go back to my Longines! But this is the first Apple product I have ever been disappointed with, so can't win them all.

Touch Screen issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.