Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

garageband won't start

So I have the Garageband version 10.0.3. For some reason since yesterday it won't open anymore.

I click the icon, it starts "jumping", then nothing happens. Then the whole computer starts to lag, and I have to press "Force Quit" on the Garageband application for me to even be able to use my computer. The only thing that I can remember doing different last day was to use the "groove track" function for the first time ever. After that I just closed down Garageband, and now I can't open it.

When i right-click on the Garageband app it says "Application not responding". No error message or anything else pops up. It just jumps for a while, then it stops jumping. And my whole computer does experience extreme lag.

My computer has all the newest updates and newest system.

OS X YOSEMITE

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

2 GHz Intel Core i7

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Does anyone know what the problem is? Should i re-install Garageband?

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:35 AM

13 replies

May 17, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Lookingforbandmembers

Does anyone know what the problem is? Should i re-install Garageband?

Since this happened for a particular project, try if GarageBand can still open one of your older projects. Does GarageBand launch correctly, if you double click an older project to open or hold down the alt/options key while launching GarageBand to bring up the File Chooser panel?

May 17, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Lookingforbandmembers

You have already tried, if restarting the Mac does solve this, right?

And you have enough free storage on your System drive?

Have you recently installed any new software or updated software? Any plug-ins, sound fonts? Drivers for an audio interface?

To check, if any Preference setting in your user account is causing this, sign into a different user account, for example the Guest User account and try to launch GarageBand from this account. Does it work in a different account?

May 17, 2015 11:20 PM in response to léonie

Yes I've restarded the computer etc.

I did create now a Guest User account and it does work with that account 🙂 . But still doesn't work on my regular account.

What I can recall it said often when I was playing/recording with garageband "Disk to slow....something something...10005". It just paused and this message came up. I pressed OK and it continued.

I have like 100GB free on the hard drive. Not installed or updated any software as I can recall. No plug-in or soundfonts. No drivers for audio inteference.

It does work with Guest User account. Perfectly normal.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the hard drive because I had the computer on my bike and it was pretty shaky/bumpy ride to the rehearsal space... and after this it stopped working. But everything else and all the other programs work on my computer...

May 18, 2015 12:54 AM in response to Lookingforbandmembers

Since GarageBand is working from the Guest account, try, if deleting the user Preferences from your Userr Library will help.

Delete this file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband10.plist from your User Library

and also the complete folder: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/

Then restart your Mac.

This library folder is hidden. You can access it from the Finder's "Go" menu, or make it permanently visible in your Home folder.

Simply select your Home folder (with the little House icon) in the Finder sidebar or the User folder. Then press ⌘J to show the "View" options.

In the View options panel enable "Show Library Folder". Now you will be always able to access the Library folder in your Home folder.

There ma not be a preferences file for GarageBand 10 in the Preferences folder, however. GarageBand 10 is sandboxed and keeps the preferences mirrored in the sandbox ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/ .

To remove them completely, quit GarageBand, if it is running, open the folder ~/Library/Containers/ and remove the complete folder ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/ .

Then restart the system, before you relaunch GarageBand.

May 22, 2015 7:06 AM in response to léonie

It worked!! I deleted the preferences file. Then I deleted the containers folder. Then I restarted my computer and I could use Garageband normally.

but now something is weird again, let me describe the events that happened....

So I jumped into the project that I was most recently working on. I recorded lots of instruments and vocals and created several new channels. Everything was working perfectly. Then I quit Garageband, and turned of my computer.

Came back after couple of hours, turned on my computer. Everything OK. Then I turn on Garageband and it starts loading the project but does crash halfway through loading. My whole computer does a freeze and I have to restart it manually.

Now after I restart it manually I start to experience severe lag, not only in Garageband but all programs. Sometimes it does manage to load Garageband but when I try to play anything it says "System overload or Disc to slow 100001-". I have to shut down the computer manually several times because the computer does a freeze. The computer makes this "loading noise" all the time even when not running a program. Like an old car trying to start...the loading noise makes several "false starts" before it gets going and then I can use a program. Getting into Safari and writing this has been very difficult.

I tried the Guest Account and it seems to be the same over there aswell. Difficulty running any program.

I have 240GB free disc space, can it still be something with this? Seems maybe my computer or hard drive is done for, maybe I should get a new computer?

Anyways thank you so much for the help. I was so happy when Garageband started working again hehe (for a while till it crashed again 😝).

May 22, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Lookingforbandmembers

You'd better ask in the Yosemite forum. That looks like a system wide problem. Either you are having a hardware problem or install some system addition with older software, that is corrupting your system.

And make sure you make a backup of your Mac, while it is still working.

As a first test, try to run a file system check with Disk utility.

Launch Disk Utility, click the First Aid tab, then select your hard disk in the sidebar and click Verify Disk.

May 23, 2015 5:02 AM in response to léonie

I did the verify disk and repair disk. All is OK now it says...but I still this lag. Its like if the computer works normally for 2 min when I start it up, then I get this heavy lag.

Do you know if the newest macbook air 13 works good with garageband? Since it has flashdrive and usb only I think the harddrive would be more resistant to shakes/bumps. No moveable parts.

I record in my rehearsal room and make demos. Here is example of our production: www.soundcloud.com/sexypenisband

Would a macbookair be enough for this kind of production? Recorded with external soundcard

May 23, 2015 5:49 AM in response to Lookingforbandmembers

I never tried the MacBook Air, only MacBook Pro and iMac, so I can't say.

It is not necessarily a hardware problem. Such lagging could be caused by incompatible software. If you installed older software that adds incompatible kernel extensions or device drivers, audio units, VST plug-ins.

A new computer would not help, if you migrate incompatible software to it.

The Yosemite Forum (OS X Yosemite) could help you to identify incompatible software. Have you checked the device drivers for your your audio interface? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203837

May 23, 2015 12:23 PM in response to léonie

Ok my computer works now. I have no idea what was wrong but let me tell you what I did.

I restarted my computer then pressed CMD+R and I pressed "Reinstall OS X Yosemite". It reinstalled the system and now its working. We'll see for how long this will work but its working right now, all the programs 🙂

Thank you for the help and your time, I was amazed how quickly I got help in this thread and the friendly atmosphere.

Cheers

garageband won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.