Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my ipad/ iphone problem : " All devices are online, but cannot be located "!

Hello everyone, I have an issue with my app " find my iphone"

Im using Ipad air 2 at the moment, when i installed app " find my iphone", do any steps for enable it such as " turn it on in setting", "turn on Location Services". But it still appear this bugged, can someone help me out please ? what should i do ?

Thank you for reading this, have a nice day !

ps : i read from another thread and tried restart my ipad, turn on / off several times but it still not working out, please help !

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 17, 2015 11:02 AM

4 replies

May 17, 2015 11:13 AM in response to r4inmaker

For Find My iPad to work Location Services must be enabled and Settings > iCloud > Find My iPad must be turned ON.

The Find My iPhone App is not required to be on the iPad that you are trying to find. It is only used to find an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch from an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.

Of course, to be located the device must be attached to a network.

May 17, 2015 11:21 AM in response to r4inmaker

If you have the WiFi-only iPad (which does not have GPS) your location is determined by the mapped location of nearby WiFi routers. A WiFi+Cellular iPad or an iPhone has GPS and can locate itself.

Without GPS iPad location-finding is done by using a Apple location database which contains the MAC addresses of routers and their physical location. A MAC address is a unique number which is built-in to all network devices when manufactured. No two routers have the same MAC address.

The Apple database is built and updated by Apple GPS-enabled devices (primarily iPhones) actually seeing routers and then adding/updating the router's locations into the database. There is no manual way to request an update to the Apple location database.

Note, to be used for location determination, a device does not need to actually be connected to a router, it just has to see the router and its MAC address. More precise location determination can be done if several nearby routers can be seen.

If your router's location has never been added to Apple's location database your location may not be available to your device.

May 17, 2015 11:32 AM in response to JimHdk

Thank you for your information and time to help me out. Yes my ipad is wifi only, and my problem solved, all i do is restart my ipad several times, turn on and off location service few times again and again, and it works, luckily !

so for the people who come for the same question : after you do everything such as turn on "location service", "find my iphone/ipad" If you still got the problem, try to repeat it 7 8 times more, it should works after all. And if still not working, check you router or the device which one provide network, in case you got Ipad wifi only version.

Find my ipad/ iphone problem : " All devices are online, but cannot be located "!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.