Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I group songs in iTunes 12 from different albums into one collection?

Hi everyone. I'm trying to familiarize myself with iTunes 12 (not an easy task), and would like to know how to organize a group of songs in such a way that each song can maintain their individual album titles (so that information is not lost), but they can be grouped together as one collection of songs that will play together--- basically, as one album among several albums within a playlist. Hopefully this makes sense. I'm not even sure if this can be done, but if so I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 17, 2015 2:39 PM

6 replies

May 17, 2015 9:01 PM in response to mszebra

I think what you are wanting is for the tracks to group together as different albums but still retain their original album identity, right? This is a decidedly strange thing to want to do but you may be able to achieve it by giving the tracks a different sort album entry (see the "sorting" tab shown in an earlier post). Items with a common sort album short short by that entry but still display the original album.

May 18, 2015 11:28 PM in response to Limnos

Ha, yes, I suppose it is a bit strange. What I'm doing is creating a compilation from various concerts. I want them to all be sorted as one album/compilation, but I don't want to change their album titles and lose each one's specific concert info. I tried your suggestion, but iTunes is still reading them as different albums. Thanks anyway.

May 19, 2015 5:51 AM in response to mszebra

mszebra wrote:

I tried your suggestion, but iTunes is still reading them as different albums.

because they are different albums.

would like to know how to organize a group of songs in such a way that each song can maintain their individual album titles (so that information is not lost), but they can be grouped together as one collection of songs that will play together--- basically, as one album among several albums within a playlist.

Put them all into the same playlist.

May 27, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Chris CA

Yes, I realize a playlist would do this. What I'm trying to avoid is the fact that all these single songs create tons of icons in the "My Music" tab. It looks like a mess, and greatly increases the number of items I have to scroll through. This is essentially why I wanted to have them sorted as one "album" -- so there is simply one icon. It's not something I would anticipate Apple catering to (I'm a librarian, so clean organization is my thing) but I just thought I'd ask.

How can I group songs in iTunes 12 from different albums into one collection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.