Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RoadRunner

I can receive email from my RoadRunner account set up correctly in Apple Mail, but can NOT send email from there. Neither can I send email from RoadRunner WebMail. RoadRunner technical support says this is an Apple Mail issue.

PowerBook G4 Quicksilver, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 1GB RAM

Posted on Oct 24, 2006 10:40 AM

13 replies

Oct 24, 2006 10:50 AM in response to jessepps

Time Warner (RoadRunner) is my ISP and I can send messages with my RoadRunner account via the Mail.app and webmail access.

Any error message provided with the Mail.app?

Do you have any additional SMTP servers available with the Mail.app that are not being actively used by any account?

Have you tried deleting and re-creating RR's SMTP server?

Which browser are you using for webmail access?

If Safari, try clearing the Safari cache.

Do you have another browser installed such as Firefox and if so, does the same occur when using another browser?

Oct 24, 2006 11:52 AM in response to jessepps

I can receive email from my RoadRunner account set up correctly in Apple
Mail, but can NOT send email from there. I CAN send email from RoadRunner
WebMail. (I previously had a typo in address.) RoadRunner technical support
says this is an Apple Mail issue.

Error message received: "Cannot send message using the server smtp-server.houston.rr.com"

Oct 24, 2006 1:38 PM in response to JimHarrington

Hello Jim.

This is the equivalent of my setting for NC.

Time Warner (RoadRunner) in NC uses the incoming mail server address as the SMTP server?

If so, this is very unusual for RR. I've been a RR customer in two different geographic areas in Texas and in both areas the incoming and outgoing mail servers are different and both based on that geographic area.

I checked RR's account settings for their Houston geographic area of coverage and smtp-server.houston.rr.com is the correct SMTP server for Houston area customers.

Oct 25, 2006 3:58 PM in response to JimHarrington

I just checked RoadRunner's website for North Carolina and the incoming and outgoing mail server settings are as follows:

The pop mail server for Road Runner is: pop-server.nc.rr.com

The smtp server for Road Runner is: smtp-server.nc.rr.com

If you are using the POP (incoming) mail server as the SMTP server also, I don't know how you are sending messages with your RR account.

Oct 25, 2006 4:56 PM in response to jessepps

jessepps,

1. Are you connected to the Internet through a Time Warner Cable connection at the time you get this error message?

2. Are you in an area that has recently been changed from Comcast to TWC cable? If so, has TWC actually notified you that you must change to the TWC domain servers, or are you doing this before being told to do so?

3. Have you checked the port number & authentication settings for the outgoing mail server for smtp-server.houston.rr.com to make sure they are what TWC says you should use?

Oct 25, 2006 5:02 PM in response to jessepps

I had a similiar problem back in August. Check the "Server Settings" under Mail, Preferences, Account Information, Outgoing Mail Server (STMP), Server Settings, Authentications. It should read "None." Mine said "Password." In my situation the initial setup caused the problem. According to a Mac savy RR Tech support person just change Authentication to "None" and it should fix your problem. Tech Support said RR Outgoing Mail doesn't required a password. I thought this might help others. Your problem sound just like mine.

IMAC G5 ISight Mac OS X (10.4.8)

RoadRunner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.