Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A red X has appeared in the upper right side of the highlight frame of one one of the pictures in my slide show. I don't know what it means, how it got there, or how to get rid of it. I can find nothing about in iPhoto "Help." What gives?

A red X has appeared in the upper right side of the highlight frame for one one of the pictures in my slide show. I don't know what it means, how it got there, or how to get rid of it. I can find nothing about in iPhoto "Help." What gives?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), iPhoto version 9.5.1

Posted on May 17, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2015 11:06 PM

It means the photos is tagged as Hidden.

7 replies

May 18, 2015 9:27 PM in response to dorothyfromestero

What does "hidden" mean?

Hidden Photos are only hidden in the Library views (Moments, Collections, Years) - the views you can access from the topmost "Photos" icon in the sidebar. This way you can reduce the number of photos that are shown in the Moments, without deleting the photos from the library. It is not meant to hide photos that must be kept secret.

From the Photos Help: You can hide selected photos and show them only when you want to see them. Hiding a photo can be useful if you don’t want to use it, but you’re not sure you want to delete it.

For example: I have hidden all photos, and the Moments are showing this - a completely empty library.

User uploaded file

But any album in the Album section of the sidebar, including the "All Photos" album is showing all photos it uses. With "All Photos" selected I am still seeing the complete test library.

User uploaded file

May 19, 2015 7:09 AM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot! I make what appear to me to be pretty nice slide shows, but clearly I don't use all the features of iPhoto that are available to me; hence my unfamiliarity with them. I mainly use the photo editing and captioning tools. Guess I should take some one-to-one tutorials on some of the other features -- I might get to like them.

A red X has appeared in the upper right side of the highlight frame of one one of the pictures in my slide show. I don't know what it means, how it got there, or how to get rid of it. I can find nothing about in iPhoto "Help." What gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.