Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G3 (Pismo) Mac OS 9.2 Wi-Fi Drivers

Hi,

I've a PowerBook G3 (Pismo) running Mac OS 9.2 and OS X 10.4 with a home Wi-Fi network handled by an Apple AirPort Extreme with WPA2-Personal security. In OS X I'm able to connect with the PowerBook's internal AirPort card just fine, though I'm not able to do so in Mac OS 9. I believe drivers were first bundled under Software Update after a later version of Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to a WPA2-Personal network over Wi-Fi in Mac OS 9 with some level of configuring?

Many thanks.

14' 400 MHz. PowerBook G3 Pismo-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2015 7:51 AM

I believe the code in OS9 is too old to support WPA or WPA2 protocols. Try switching the AE to WEP and see if OS9 detects it. If your AE is new enough to have dual channels, other people in your situation set up one channel with WPA2 and the other with WEP for older Macs.

I believe drivers were first bundled under Software Update after a later version of Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther).

I believe you are right. It been a while but I recall that not even OS10.2 Jaguar supported WPA.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2015 7:51 AM in response to MrAppleFanMan

I believe the code in OS9 is too old to support WPA or WPA2 protocols. Try switching the AE to WEP and see if OS9 detects it. If your AE is new enough to have dual channels, other people in your situation set up one channel with WPA2 and the other with WEP for older Macs.

I believe drivers were first bundled under Software Update after a later version of Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther).

I believe you are right. It been a while but I recall that not even OS10.2 Jaguar supported WPA.

PowerBook G3 (Pismo) Mac OS 9.2 Wi-Fi Drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.