Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most Essential Upgrade for Video Editing

I am a student video editor and want to upgrade my Mac Pro (Early 2008), upgrading either the Processor or RAM first (eventually both) but I do not know which is more essential for what I want to do. So here are my purposes for my computer use: I want to be able to edit HD video with programs such as Adobe Premiere CS6, Avid Media Composer 8.1, Photoshop, and Aftereffects that includes me engaging in processes such as rendering effects, compressing large video files & importing and converting media smoothly with minimal or no crashes at all. My spending budget is approximately $600 so I want to use that as efficiently as I can. I know when buying certain pieces for a mac it is very specific for what kind of piece you can buy so if you guys have any recommendations for device specific hardware also please let me know.

Also here are my system specs:

Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F1066)

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Name: Mac

Mac Pro

Posted on May 17, 2015 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2015 10:40 PM

Upgrading RAM is a good idea to get better performance at low cost.

5 replies

May 18, 2015 8:41 PM in response to The hatter

I have been researching a bit about the GTX 970 and is so far pleased with the specifications. I decided to upgrade my RAM, HDD, and graphics card first with addition to my ultra wide LG monitor with 3440 x 1440 resolution. If I do manage to get what GTX 970 is there any steps in installing it or doing something with my old graphics card. I've read that it is important to install NVIDIA drivers with Mac GPU but I'm not sure if it is installed or not since I am currently using it or rather I'm not sure how to check that information. Also I've watched a few videos about it where it does not show a booting screen. Is there anyway to fix that when I get this drive?

Most Essential Upgrade for Video Editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.