Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internal FaceTime HD Camera not working after Yosemite update

Hey all,

i have a question about a missing (in system profiler) integrated FaceTime HD Camera at an iMac 27" Mid 2011 with Yosemite installed 🙂

i previously had Mavericks installed where the camera was working fine. For a private re-sell i deleted the old partition, created a new one and installed Yosemite (which was wished by the buyer).

But now the Camera is not working anymore and not findable in System Information (System Profiler)...

I already did the SMC Reset, NVRAM Reset, Normal and Extended AppeHardwareTest, this sudo killall VDCAssistant command which is mentioned on some forum discussions with no results at all...

I saw that this AppleCameraAssistant process launched by the Daemon Launcher is also not running...

I am really helpless and don't know what else i could test for....

THX in advance!!

best,

Benno

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), mid 2011 27 inch i7 3,4 GHz

Posted on May 18, 2015 5:34 AM

5 replies

May 20, 2015 3:50 PM in response to morizk

You've already performed the most likely soft fixes (reset PRAM and SMC). If you pull down the Apple menu and select About This Mac, click on the 'System Report...' button, then click on USB, does the camera show up on the USB Device Tree as something like 'FaceTime Camera (Built-In)?

What method did you use to install Yosemite on the new partition that you created? Did you copy it over from a different volume? Did you perform a clean install from the recovery partition? If you copied it over from a different volume then I suggest performing a clean install using the Internet Recovery option by starting up the iMac by holding down the command-option-R keys. Once the menu loads after a few minutes reinstall the OS on your new partition.

May 22, 2015 1:22 AM in response to morizk

If nothing worked run a apple diagnostic test ( hold CMD + D and turn on the mac ) this will start up a hardware test.

This will show you if it is software or hardware, if nothing is detected and a reinstall did not work i would recommend apple, secondly if there is an hardware issue detected take it into apple so that they can run a AST check on it and this will show a bit more.

Hopefully its a quick fix and not so expensive. 🙂

Good luck

internal FaceTime HD Camera not working after Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.