Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

at startup I always get asked for my account password

I have a long-standing problem with my Mac mini/OSX10.9.5. Upon startup - and early in the process after the desktop background comes up and before most login items load - I get a window with a request for my account password. Usually it is:

com.apple.iCloudHelper wants to use the “login_renamed1” keychain.

But sometimes it is another thing that asks to use the keychain and so I have to input my account/keychain password.

This does not happen on my MBP/OSX 10.6.8 and others have said their Mavericks installations don’t do this, so it clearly isn’t normal.

I don’t think it actually has anything to do with iCloud, since sometimes it is something else that asks for the keychain password (sorry, forgot to write down the other similar alerts).

It isn’t dramatic, but it is annoying as I have to do this every time my Mac reboots. BTW, if I start with login items disabled, it still asks for the password so I don’t think it has to do with a login item.

Anybody seen this glitch before?

Mac Mini Server (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 16Gb RAM

Posted on May 18, 2015 7:22 AM

4 replies

May 19, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Nina Contini Melis

Ive seen this before if you have two step authentication on your Apple ID turned on. Try to sign out of iCloud then back in. If that doesnt work turning two step authentication off then back on does solve the problem at least for some.

May 19, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Community User

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I don't have two step authentication enabled, but I did follow your suggestion and signed out of iCloud then signed back in. Can't hurt to try. Then I rebooted and at first it looked like it was working...but alas, no. Later on in the boot process than before (most of the login items already enabled) but then I got the dreaded window, but this time it said:

Messages Agent want to use the "login_renamed1"keychain. Please enter the keychain password.

So same thing but a different process asking for the password, sigh. Any further suggestions?

at startup I always get asked for my account password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.