Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Photo Not enough disk space to migrate library

I have photos using 2,2 Gb of space on a 600Gb hard drive and currently trying to migrate the library over. However every time it says there is insufficient space to do so. I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 18, 2015 8:51 AM

3 replies

May 18, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Marion@

on a 600Gb hard drive

The migration will try to create the migrated library on the hard drive, if the file system is supported. How is this drive formatted?

If the drive is not directly connected, or the file system is not MacOS Extended (Journaled), or the drive is a backup drive with Time Machine or WD Smartware or similar, then the library cannot be migrated on that drive. Photos will create the migrated library on your System drive.

Move the library to a different drive formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled).

If you are getting error messages about "Not enough Space" when trying to migrate a 2,2 GB Library you are probably running out of storage on your system drive. How much free storage do you have?

May 23, 2015 5:57 AM in response to mcmuser

How can I get more disc space?

Thanks!

Can you move documents or data to an external drive? Empty the Trash?

You could also move your iPhoto Library to an external drive. The drive needs to be correctly formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) as described in this document for Aperture: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Note: Formatting will erase the drive. You need to save any documents and data you want to keep on a different drive.

After formatting the drive drag your iPhoto Library to the external drive. Then drag it to the Photos icon in the Dock to start the migration.

Apple Photo Not enough disk space to migrate library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.