Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot connect to the app store, running 10.6.8, want to upgrade to yosemite

cannot connect to the app store, running 10.6.8, want to upgrade to yosemite. numerous tries, no success

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), screen appears "cannot connect..."

Posted on May 18, 2015 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 11:15 AM

Howdy cape-may diamond,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

To help troubleshoot this issue where your Mac is unable to connect to the Mac App Store, I'd like you to please follow the directions in the article linked to below.

OS X: "Cannot connect" or "Cannot connect to the App Store. An internet connection is required" - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 11:15 AM in response to cape-may diamond

Howdy cape-may diamond,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

To help troubleshoot this issue where your Mac is unable to connect to the Mac App Store, I'd like you to please follow the directions in the article linked to below.

OS X: "Cannot connect" or "Cannot connect to the App Store. An internet connection is required" - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

May 21, 2015 9:19 AM in response to seventy one

Is this a recent development? I really do not know, have not tried to use the App Store before, but now must in order to update the OS...

And secondary to the question, have you checked out your machine to see if it is capable of accepting Yosemite;

that it has sufficient memory; I Thought that the OS Yosemite would write over Snow Leopard, so that memory would not be an issue. I must be wrong about this. I am not certain how to even check the memory, perhaps if I put my photos on discs, it will free up memory. Also reading negative things of the new photo app... So best to put them on disc for now...

that you are aware of which current programs will be lost; no, I am not aware of losing programs.

bearing in mind the no PPC programs will survive the changeover? I do not know what "PPC programs" refers to. I apologize for not understanding more of the Apple things.

Thank you for answering!

May 21, 2015 9:45 AM in response to cape-may diamond

Hello cape-may diamond

No need to apologise; we all had to learn about these things, one time or another.

Please start by clicking the Apple logo in the top left hand corner ... and a panel will appear. Then click on About this Mac ... the second line down will confirm the current Version Number. Tell us what it is.

Then click on the 'More info' part of that same panel. A new screen will appear entitled 'Hardware overview'.

Copy the FIRST EIGHT LINES only into a reply here.

When I can see that I will reply with more answers.

Regards, 71.

May 21, 2015 11:11 AM in response to cape-may diamond

At first view and from what you write I would have thought it would accept Yosemite but digging further I rather think 10.6.8 is as far as you can go. The key is you need an an aluminium cased imac, 7.1 or newer. Here are some notes published in another forum.

http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/mac-good-enough-take-yosemite/ You may have to type this link in if it does not show up blue.

PPC relates to the processor in these earlier iMacs. Hopefully I have reduced my explanation to basics when I say It worked with a computer program called Rosetta and was the base from which most of the programs were founded. The new systems do not use Rosetta and that is why you would probably lose some of your downloaded programs were you able to upgrade.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will stop by and correct me but my thoughts are that you cannot download Yosemite.

I would suggest you move your photos to a portable HD. That will improve your speed if you are currently running slow.

May 21, 2015 1:59 PM in response to cape-may diamond

I wish I could have been more encouraging but no-one has come back and countered my opinion. Depends what your La-cie drive has in terms of space but an individual back up of photos, for instance, shouldn't be too expensive and if they are backed up on La cie and also on another HD that should be your protection. You can never have too much back up.

What does your Activity monitor say you have in terms of use of your disc?

Thank you for the star.

Regards, 71.

May 21, 2015 3:51 PM in response to cape-may diamond

Are you looking at a new 21.5"? If so, the two and a half mile trip will be a worthwhile investment. Let them sell it to you, answer all your questions and in many cases they will help you set up your machine and transfer the files etc. All a case of negotiation.

And don't forget, there are changes to iPhoto with some machines so make sure you know what they are and how they may affect you. If the funds are there, your problem will be solved.

As you can see, I'm still trudging along with a 7.1 iMac, 10.6.8, and have no intention (or need) for more ... but if it came down to handling copious amounts of photos or music, I would move them onto separate portable HDs.

May 21, 2015 4:13 PM in response to seventy one

yes, I noticed your iMac... It is a 2 and one half Hours away. one way. <LOL> yes it would be a new one, and

actually I would hope to still utilize the retail store at a convenient time. Are you in England? You must sleep! Thank you for all this great assistance, truly a blessing. And I did not believe that I need 16 GB of RAM, which the sales person online suggested. Do not think I could justify the added cost. So 8 GB it is... Your idea of portable HDs is a good one, and I was amazed that I had to order a disc drive "super drive" as Apple no longer thinks it is necessary to include on the new iMacs. And yes, I would rather work on photos in a real darkroom than digitally. Enough, This has been a good computer, and I will continue to use it.

May 21, 2015 9:30 PM in response to cape-may diamond

Good morning Cape - may diamond,

Yes, I am from the UK and I can only guess at SA for your location ... which would explain the long journey. But I am so pleased to read of your decision and that funds are available for a replacement. I would caution you to give a second thought to the 16 Gb of RAM. I understand these new models cannot be upgaded later and although 8Gb is ample for Yosemite now, will your photographic needs and future system changes be covered? But enough, as you say. Happy to have been of help.

cannot connect to the app store, running 10.6.8, want to upgrade to yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.