Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get a m4a version of a bought album?

Dear all,

I am using my new Sinology DS with Audio Station to stream music to my stereo system. I have copied a section of my music bought on iTunes store to the disk station. One album is stored as m4p which Audio Station can not stream. Is there a chance to convert this album into a m4a version to get it ready for streaming?

Many thanks

Rene

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD, 500 GB HDD

Posted on May 18, 2015 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2015 11:39 AM

m4p is m4a but in a old, protected format. Apple discontinued the upgrade policy several years ago. Your options now are to repurchase the item in the new format, or if you have a lot of files in this format you can upgrade them to unprotected as part of subscribing to iTunes Match for a year.

Keep in mind you can also make a normal audio CD from m4p files and the files on this CD behave as any other audio CD.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2015 11:39 AM in response to rzoelfl

m4p is m4a but in a old, protected format. Apple discontinued the upgrade policy several years ago. Your options now are to repurchase the item in the new format, or if you have a lot of files in this format you can upgrade them to unprotected as part of subscribing to iTunes Match for a year.

Keep in mind you can also make a normal audio CD from m4p files and the files on this CD behave as any other audio CD.

May 28, 2015 6:18 PM in response to Limnos

Hm. Old it may be, but in some cases still active. I have an album I bought in April this year of which half the files are in m4a and the other half in m4p. Listening to them on my iPhone (I use a third-party music app because the Apple one is so ugly) I can only get halfway through before it says 'song not available'. Obviously in this case re-purchasing wouldn't help, as the purchase was made well after 2009.

How do I get a m4a version of a bought album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.