Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i stream purchased movie (from iTunes) on to my iPhone? iOS 8.3 installed...

Trying to understand if this is feasible and if so, how I do this. Understand this is doable on Apple TV but not sure if I can do this on my phone. Just wanted to save some space by avoiding downloading the movies.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 18, 2015 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2015 2:37 PM

If the films remain in your country's store then turning Settings > iTunes & App Store > Videos 'on' should get them to show in the Videos app with a cloud icon against them for streaming - they are likely to still need some free space on your phone, and if you are on a slow wifi network they may buffer when being played.

If at home you can also use home sharing to stream them from your Mac's iTunes to your phone (Settings > Videos on your phone to enable it, you will get a shared library showing in the Videos app) - your Mac and phone will need to be connected to the same network, and iTunes open on your Mac)

Home sharing : Learn more about Home Sharing - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Wooky

If the films remain in your country's store then turning Settings > iTunes & App Store > Videos 'on' should get them to show in the Videos app with a cloud icon against them for streaming - they are likely to still need some free space on your phone, and if you are on a slow wifi network they may buffer when being played.

If at home you can also use home sharing to stream them from your Mac's iTunes to your phone (Settings > Videos on your phone to enable it, you will get a shared library showing in the Videos app) - your Mac and phone will need to be connected to the same network, and iTunes open on your Mac)

Home sharing : Learn more about Home Sharing - Apple Support

May 19, 2015 9:28 AM in response to King_Penguin

The reason i am asking is... that I heard some common complain about streaming video takes up iphone's storage in a stealthy way... meaning not able to remove the storage taker for some reasons when you get a storage warning while u steam videos... is that still going on or am I worried about this no reason.

Much appreciated

May 19, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Wooky

I sync any videos that I want on my phone from my computer's iTunes, as to be able to play them from the cloud you need access to a wifi network (and one that is quick enough to not cause buffering).

For the warning it may depend upon how much free space that you have on your phone, I've just had a quick try on my iPad as that is up-to-date (iOS 8.3 ; my iPhone I've left on iOS 7.1.2) and with a short TV programme my free space did go down a bit, but doing a soft-reset took it back to its previous level

May 19, 2015 10:51 AM in response to King_Penguin

So helpful your comments. Much appreciated.

So for streaming, I think 2 ways are possible

1) you can stream any purchased video from your iTunes directly by turning on "show all" in the setting.

2) you can stream any contents in your computer's iTunes library but that requires "Home Sharing" on with fast enough wifi.

3) Any storage issues, if any, you can soft reset it to have storage back after streaming.

Do I need wifi for the streaming way 1)?

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

can i stream purchased movie (from iTunes) on to my iPhone? iOS 8.3 installed...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.