Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2010 iMac dual drive Remove HDD

I have a 27" late 2010 iMac with a 1TB HDD and a 250 GB SSD. My HDD is dying and has trouble mounting. The fan spins like crazy and drives me nuts. I want to remove the HDD all together and not replace it (all our programs run off of the SSD and we have external drives for our other data).

I have a few questions:

Will removing the HDD cause any additional problems and will it solve the fan issue?

If I remove the HDD can I also remove the fan? Does the fan cool an other components?

Does the SSD have it's own fan or does it even need one?

Thanks for your help.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 18, 2015 12:35 PM

1 reply

May 18, 2015 12:53 PM in response to JNYYC

1. It should not cause any problems. It will not solve the fan issue. That's something different.
  2. Removing fans is not a good idea. There are three fans cooling different components.
  3. Drives do not have their own integrated fans; yes, it definitely needs one.

Heat or a defective sensor are the main reasons fans run at high speed. You have a possible heat issue and need to find out why. You might also try Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.

Mid 2010 iMac dual drive Remove HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.