Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't want to use the Photos program on my new laptop

I've just received my new MacBook Pro running Yosemite and I'd like to pair it via iCloud with my iMac which is running 10.9.5.

The problem is that I absolutely HATE the new Photos program. I've arranged over 19,000 photos via Events in iPhoto and I want to continue doing that. (I know support for iPhoto is being phased out but I'm hoping Photos will come out with an update allowing for Events.)

• How do I solve the problem of not wanting Photos on my new laptop? Can I still download an iPhoto program that will work?
  • I usually upload my photos to my laptop when I travel but how will I get them into iPhoto on my desktop? My desktop has much greater memory so I use that as my major repository for photos but still have approximately 10,000 on my laptop - sorted by Events.
  • Can I select what will pair via iCloud? If so, can I de-select Photos so I don't screw up my entire photo selection?

I'm not certain I'm explaining myself clearly but I appreciate whatever suggestions you can offer. Thanks in advance.

OS X Server

Posted on May 18, 2015 1:43 PM

8 replies

May 18, 2015 1:47 PM in response to DGY

If you don't want to use it then use iPhotos. It will still work if you have version 9.6.1. If you haven't got that version:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 18, 2015 2:01 PM in response to DGY

Thank you, Gail and Kappy, for your responses. My new MacBook Pro is running 10.10.3 and my desktop has iPhoto 9.5.1. There haven't been any "update reminders" for iPhoto (like I receive for iTunes, etc.) so I assumed I was running the most recent version.

This adds another question: Once I download the new iPhoto versions on both computers will they work together via iCloud?

Thank you!

May 18, 2015 3:43 PM in response to DGY

I think I might be out of luck.

It seems the only way to download iPhoto 9.6.1 is by upgrading to a Yosemite version but the only Yosemite version is 10.10.3 which has the new Photos program. If I download Yosemite to my iMac (currently running 10.9.5) will I be screwed because I didn't upgrade when I could get 10.10.2 which still worked with iPhoto?

Is there a workaround on this problem?

Thanks,

Debra

Don't want to use the Photos program on my new laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.