Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add title "Table of Contents" above a TOC on same page

How do I keep a "Table of Contents" title above the actual table of contents on the same page?

For some reason, my TOC shows up on the next page after my title. I don't see a hard page break when showing invisible characters, and I can't find a setting in the TOC formatting that would fix this.

Thanks for your help.

-Louis

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 18, 2015 2:52 PM

6 replies

May 21, 2015 6:55 PM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks for your help Yellowbox.

For me, this works great when the TOC is less than 1 page long, but as soon as the TOC is longer than that, Pages inserts a page break between the title "Table of Contents" and the actual table of contents.

To see this in your example, add as many "Chapter x" as needed (maybe 15 or 20) to make the TOC longer than 1 page, and hopefully you'll recreate the issue I'm having.

Let me know if you see it too.

May 22, 2015 7:18 AM in response to HerHighnessDon

Your Highness 🙂,

I am not sure I understand how to do what you say here. Can you explain it in another way?

Please reply with more details.

Are you having trouble with inserting a Table of Contents (TOC)?

Are you having trouble with placing a title (or other content) above the TOC?

A TOC is created from paragraph styles such as Heading 1 that have been defined as TOC "candidates".

Click anywhere in a paragraph to see Format panel > Text >

User uploaded file

You may see "Body". That is not (by default) defined as a TOC "candidate". It won't appear in a TOC, so you can use it as a title above the TOC or as the contents of a chapter (see my previous reply).

To make text such as "Chapter 1" appear in a TOC, it has to be defined as a TOC "Candidate".

Heading 1 works for me.

To change a paragraph style to Heading 1, click anywhere in that paragraph and Format Panel > Text > click to reveal the styles in that document

Choose Heading 1.

User uploaded file

Jumping ahead, once you have inserted a TOC, click on it to see the TOC "candidate" styles

User uploaded file

I hope this gets you on your way. Please call back with further questions.

Regards,

Ian.

Add title "Table of Contents" above a TOC on same page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.