Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export FCP 7 Edit for 4K Video

I am wondering what the workflow is to encode an FCP 7 sequence for 4K delivery. The native footage was 4K and transcoded to Pro Res 422 HQ for the edit itself. Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 3,1 8 Core 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, 5770

Posted on May 18, 2015 2:01 PM

5 replies

May 19, 2015 1:57 AM in response to KGD

How did you convert the footage? With what app? More common workflows involve RESOLVE. Convert the footage in resolve, cut in FCP, send an XML to resolve, have it relink to the 4K masters for a 4K finish.

FCP is capable of a 4K finish, just barely. You can online and master as ProRes 4444 4K. But you'll need a seriously fast RAID for smooth playback. And then you can export a QT file. BUT...again, how was the footage converted? How will FCP link up with the 4K footage?

May 19, 2015 10:49 AM in response to KGD

Well, you dug yourself into a hole by converting the footage with Compressor. Now there's no way to track the source, not in FCP. If you have 4K footage, and you want to track it and finish with it, you need to convert it in certain ways.

If you intended to finish in FCP, then you needed to convert thru FCP...via log and transfer. BUT, if that wouldn't work, and it might not as FCP is old as the hills and not up with current camera tech, then you would have to look at finishing outside of FCP. If you wanted to finish this with Color, you should have used COLOR to convert the footage. HOW? I don't know, I haven't used Color in that way, but I know it's possible. If you wanted to use Resolve, then you should have used Resolve to convert the footage. This is how they track the offline media to the full resolution masters.

If you convert with something like Compressor, MPEG STREAMCLIP, EditReady, BulletProof...you lose all tracking to the masters.

So your only solution now is to convert ALL the footage you used in the cut to 4K ProRes files. The full clips...and then see if you can relink (might not be possible if you don't have matching reel numbers, and you don't because you used Compressor)...and if not...then manually over-cut.

Sorry you got yourself into this corner. Offline/online workflows require planning (what will it be finished on) and certain workflows so that you can track the footage and relink it when you go to finish.

Good luck

Export FCP 7 Edit for 4K Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.