Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I send an I message when it doesn't come through?

How can I send an iMessage? It's supposed to be ON

Posted on May 18, 2015 6:26 PM

1 reply

May 19, 2015 12:41 PM in response to NataliaCR87

Hi,

It would help if we knew which version of Messages and which version of the OS as there are differences as we go along.

It would help also to know what you have done to set up the iMessages and account and what you have tried.

The Messages app can join 5 "services" of which iMessages is only one.

As people often say "iMessages" when they talk about the app I will start from the top as it were.

On the occasion you first start up Messages it will ask for an Apple ID (it should be one registered with iCloud but does not have to be the same as the one you use in iTunes or the iCloud On line features).

If you have done this then the Messages Menu > Preferences > Accounts . iMessages should have the "Enable this Account" box Ticked.

The Apple ID should be listed and it should show you info about Alternatives if you have linked it to an iPhone. There should also be a "Details" Button and a Sign Out button.

If you use the Details Button it should ask you to "sign In" and you then need to check it has the right country listed.

If it is not Signed Out and is Enabled then it should be logged in.

You can then start from the main Messages window which is made up of a left hand side panel where the list of chats is placed and the right hand side that is where the chat text is listed.

Clicking the square icon top left (but towards the divider) will open a New Messages option.

Far right should now be a blue + icon.

Clicking this reveals the Contacts app list.

You can choose from here or enter an Contact name directly at the "To" Spot (in the right hand side but close to the Divider with the Chat List side bar).

Once at least one Contact is listed you can then type in the bottom text field area and then hit the Enter button to Send.

The Name in the "To" spot can be surrounded by Red if the app thinks they are not Registered with iMessages.

In some cases the iMessages sent get an Alert Message underneath saying they cannot be delivered.

Tell us where you are up to.

User uploaded file

8:41 pm Tuesday; May 19, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

How can I send an I message when it doesn't come through?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.