Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating Macbook 12 inch

My MacBook 12 inch retina gets rather warm in the area of the speaker (top and bottom) from basic use. I would even say hot. Anyone else having the same problem?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 18, 2015 11:47 PM

17 replies

Feb 27, 2017 7:05 AM in response to lippertwe

My MacBook 12" (Early 2015) is freezing too. The display glitches some seconds then the whole computer, the trackpad, and the display freezes during regular use. The problem persists for a long time (hours) after the first occurrence. Subsequent freezes happen are during the boot, on the login screen and also on the user session.

I think it is due to the overheating. Someone knows the specification of the temperature range in which this notebook was built to work?

I also posted this with details on [reddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/comments/5wdsv0/macbook_12_early_2015_always_gl itches_like_this/) too.

Nov 1, 2017 3:54 PM in response to lippertwe

Mine is reheating like crazy, it so hot it's unbearable to hold it on the lap. The heat even damaged the video card and the picture turned with strips and I had to fix the white balance to avoid paying Apple almost $1000 to fix the screen when the issue was not the screen.

It reheats even more when charging. I have to hold it upside-down to get some air to it or turn the fan on.

This is not a customer issue but a hardware issue. They should be fixing this problem for free, these are premium computers.

My computer reheats itself even if I am just browsing or just checking my email. This is insane.

Jul 14, 2015 12:22 PM in response to lippertwe

I have the same problem with my new macbook 12". Exploring the web and checking email warms the mac, in just 5 minutes of usage. But not only that, also the battery goes down very quickly, I have 72% of battery and 2:57 time remaining. That is not the 9 hours they say it lasts. Do you know if everyone is having the same issue with the macbook or maybe some devices have factory defects? Someone have had a response from Apple? I tried to contact Apple Support but they didn't solve anything.

Jul 14, 2015 3:08 PM in response to pordonezi

NO issues here still, and use it daily at work and home, average 4-5 hours a day.

WHat at browser are you using and what websites are causing the "hotness"?

slacker websites using old technology will give any computer issues.

MIne me will get warm with much YouTube watching, and a bit hot when playing games like Diablo III or Final Fantasy XIV Online (Games suck the battery MUCH faster, but that's expected.)

Jul 15, 2015 8:42 PM in response to lippertwe

Finally! My macbook doesn't overheat and my battery lasts around 10 hours. I found what was the problem. An application was using 99% of my CPU. I found it in the Activity Monitor, the name of the process is "notificator", and it was from Paragon. I just uninstall and delete all Paragon files and now my macbook works perfectly. Look in the activity monitor, in the CPU tab, what processes are consuming your CPU mostly. That can be a solution. Hope it works.

Best.

Dec 14, 2015 2:20 PM in response to birkenkrahe

Hi

If you're worried about the temperature of your mac I'd recommend the free trial of Temperature Gauge: https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/

It tells you all of the temperatures inside your mac. Also when playing minecraft my macbook pro retina 13" CPU can get to 95 degrees celcius! also after a few hours the entire casing can be hot on bare skin if I keep playing. The macbook pro has a fan, the macbook 12" doesn't have a fan so its reasonable to expect it to become much hotter. If it becomes too hot it'll shut down.

If you get the temperature gauge, post what temps for the cpu or just a screenshot of the window like the one below of my mac. Im currently running Powerpoint, iTunes, mail, iMessage, calendar, iPhoto and obviously safari. Im also still on mavericks cause yosemite and el capitain aren't my preference in looks!

Anyway if people experiencing the excessive heat post screenshots of the temperature window and what their mac is running we can see if there are any that stand out and look abnormal.

User uploaded file

I hope this helps 🙂

Sep 18, 2016 2:21 PM in response to lippertwe

I have a 2016 model that was purchased 3 weeks ago. I noticed from day one that it got warm quickly, and even very hot sometimes. I am a student and only use my MacBook for OneNote, PowerPoint, and browsing the web. It would immediately heat up upon start up as well. I just started back to school, thus haven't even had time for Netflix streaming. I sent my MacBook off to get serviced and there was a damaged connector in the audio board and a flex cable from IPD to MLB. My audio board, the flex cable, the screen, keyboard, casing and battery were all replaced. Who knew it need all of that replaced!

Overheating Macbook 12 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.