Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used 2009 13 inch MacBook Pro cost

I am considering buying the 2009 13 inch MacBook Pro that I've been using for the last 6 years from my company. When I asked them how much they would sell it for they told me that they could sell it for $400 after removing all licensed software (ie. Microsoft Office Suite). This seems rather expensive to me given that the computer has all original hardware and is not refurbished. However, I did have to have a new screen installed last year. I've tried to find a benchmark price, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. Thoughts??? Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 19, 2015 1:13 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2015 1:59 AM in response to Kristen416

You'd have to correctly identify the exact build model year and specification in order to attempt

to locate a current resale price estimate; even using ebay sales or amazon affiliate stores as a

price guide, will often be inadequate or inaccurate, if these variables are not considered as part

of the overall estimated resale price. For example, the use of "2009" when looking into 13-inch

MacBook Pro specifications, brings up many different build spec models, some are configured

to order (custom versions from Apple) while others are models in the lineup.

If your comparison model is known as MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) then that would be a

place to look; since there are other specs regarding the build model information such as found

in MacTracker, etc online or other databases. From mactracker:

Introduced June 2009

Discontinued April 2010

Model Identifier MacBookPro5,5

Model Number A1278

EMC 2326

Order Number MB990LL/A (2.26 GHz), MB991LL/A (2.53 GHz)

Built-in Memory None

Maximum Memory 8.0 GB

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Minimum Speed --

Interleaving Support Yes

Upgrade Instructions

MacBook Pro: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

SOFTWARE

Original OS Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J3032)

Maximum OS Latest release of OS X

AirDrop Supported

Hardware Test AHT 3A173

Bundled Software iLife ’09 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

FIRMWARE

Firmware Intel Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)

Firmware Update MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7

(edited to add ^ above for this specific model from mactracker.ca)

•How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support

•Mac Serial Number info - Lookup your Apple Serial Number:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

•All MacBook Pro models and specifications at everymac.com:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

http://mactracker.ca - a downloadable free database of specifications for upgrade & comparison

You may have to look into companies whose business is to repair and resell portable Apple

computers to see if they offer a comparable product exactly similar to what you're considering.

powerbookmedic, wegenermedia, macsales, and others -- offer repaired/restored guaranteed

older model Apple portables; their inventory changes often. Price will vary also when one takes

the cosmetic condition into consideration, although function may be otherwise perfect. Some of

this kind of reseller may offer new stock, as they are authorized resellers or service providers.

Within the 2009 marked products, several from Early, Mid, to Late, there are many and have a

variety of configurations, features, graphic and CPU, among other technologies; differences.

If the unit in question was purchased in 2009, it may also have been of the model year before.

So without more exacting information, to compare whatever you have, to the current market

price on exact configuration build year model (sales model, build specs, etc) it is difficult to

gain adequate comparison. You may be better off not buying the company's computer, but in-

stead, look for one that has been restored and carries a warranty of some sort. The fact the

one you've used for several years has a newer screen and perhaps it may also have a newer

hard disk drive (portable drives fail sooner than desktop model HDDs) than the original one.

If it also has a fair complement of RAM upgrade over stock, may be a plus. But, $400 worth?

Hopefully you can survey the possible sources of similar configured MacBook Pro models of

the same build year model date series, and also compare if those offered elsewhere include

a fair limited guaranty or other consideration for their retail or asking price.

Good luck! 🙂

May 19, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Kristen416

You could also consider a later model MacBook Pro 13-inch unibody that likely

is a better overall computer; some of these are easier to access & upgrade to

add RAM and replace the internal hard drive. The Late 2012 model is available

from Apple (series/upgrade began in 2012, in production still as new, even now)

would be a good bet, except it would ship with Yosemite 10.10. The non-retina

model with built-in optical drive is available in Apple online special deals page.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel i5 = $829 US

Sometimes a company who restores these older used models may have some in

stock, as there is a demand, in their online page, such as wegenermedia for less:

User uploaded file
Unibody 13.3 "

Also a 15.4" model unibody can be a treat; however research to be sure.

You can check specs with the previously mentioned information sources.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Used 2009 13 inch MacBook Pro cost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.