Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add textbox in imovie

Is it possible to add a textbox in iMovie? I would like to add text in the movie on several positions and its not a Titel.

Posted on May 19, 2015 12:13 AM

7 replies

May 19, 2015 1:58 AM in response to tess10000

No, you would have to prepare a still image outside of iMovie then import it into iMovie as a .jpg or .png file. if you want the text box to show on top of a video clip you need to make the text box background transparent and save as a .png. After importing into imovie you would admit above the required clip as a cutaway. You could alternatively use a green rather than transparent text box background and use the iMovie green screen function.

Having said this it is possible to write multiple lines in some of the simple title styles and to move the text around using spaces and line feeds but its very clumsy.

Geoff.

Mar 3, 2016 5:21 AM in response to tess10000

I'm using iMovie 10.1.1. I don't know that it's possible to insert a textbook in iMovie, but it is possible to insert a movie with text. I have an old (purchased way back in 2005, but still available today. I followed the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbD17s1iblg After following the instructions (I used photoshop to create the png image. And then dragged the .mov clip into the "my media" panel in iMovie. Another option is building a slide in Keynote and exporting as a quicktime movie. I've done that before, but with this particular clip, I ended up with too many digital artifacts to make it workable.

Aug 7, 2016 9:11 AM in response to VicDiesel

VicDiesel,

I have found the Scrolling Credits title to be very versatile. Delete all the text but the one word "Description", and then overwrite that to type in as many words or paragraphs as you want.

Further, if you create the title in a separate project for that purpose, and overlay it on a green background, you can share it out as a file if you want to preserve the dynamic scrolling, or share it out as an image if you want it to be static. Then you can import those into another project and use the green screen feature to overlay them anywhere in your movie.

-- Rich

add textbox in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.