Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Macbook to get

Which of the current range or Macbook and Mackbook pro laptops (current range) would work well with FCP X. how much memory should they have? Needs to work with 2k without proxy files.

Ben

Posted on May 19, 2015 2:21 AM

5 replies

May 19, 2015 3:07 AM in response to funkytwig

By "2k" I assume you mean normal 1920x1080 hi def AVCHD video?

It all depends on the complexity of your projects.

If you have mainly a single timeline with titles, generators and effects added, you can use any Mac made since 2009 with as little as 4GB RAM.

However, if you intend to create multicam clips of 4 tracks of hi-def filled with effects etc. you will need far more power if you are to avoid using proxy files.

Without knowing exactly what type of video you will be creating it is impossible to give a definitive answer other than advising you to spend as much as you can!

FWIW I have been using a 2008 iMac (4GB RAM) to create HDV and AVCHD projects over an hour long for the last 7 years and never had to use proxy media.

May 24, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks for that. I was using a G-Drive with a single drive which was around 100MB/s (blackmagic speedtest) on a i5 3Ghz with 16GB ram. I often got a spinning wheel (of over 10 seconds) and sometimes system became unresponsive of much longer durations. It was Sony FS7 footage with some 2 camera multi-cam. I moved everything onto a 2 disk RAID 0 which rates at around 250MB/s and did not have any problems all day. Interestingly my RAID 5 array with 4 disks rates at around the same (so I would say this is a excellent solution as it gives speed and reliability).

Curious what type of speed would be recommended for my type of work. As you say 'probably' RAID am I right in thinking 200MB/s (or maybe even 150) would work well?

Ben

Which Macbook to get

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.