Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing an Intel 750 SSD in my mac pro 5,1

Dear Apple community,

Yesterday I bought an Intel 750 SSD PCIe card to install in my Mac Pro 5,1 (late 2010). I had a good look at the specs of my mac, which seemed to support PCIe 2.0. Fine for the Intel 750 so it looks.

Today I received the PCIe card and installed it in my Mac Pro. Unfortunately disk utility doesn't recognise it. The device does show in system information in the PCI section: NVM Express Controller, driver installed: No.

I searched the web for possible compatibility issues and some people wrote that the NVM protocol is not supported on older Mac Pros.... BUT Since the Yosemite 10.10.3 update apple has added the NVMe protocol to OSX so I've read on several forums. And there is a "NVMExpress" item in system information on my Mac as well.

Question: should the Intel 750 card work in my Mac Pro now or in the near future? Or do I need to return this awesome superfast SSD and buy a more old fashion device instead?

Hope anyone knows the answer to this! Thanks in advance!

Erik

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Type 5,1

Posted on May 19, 2015 6:02 AM

17 replies

Feb 3, 2017 8:36 PM in response to erikschuring

I purchased this card before reading this thread and, similar to your experience, the card is not recognized by Disk Utility. I have another MacPro 5,1 that I run as an ESXi 6.5 host. I popped this card into it and BOOM — it's instantly recognized and bootable as a VMWare datastore. It's not related to the MacPro firmware — Apple just needs to write a kext for the device.

Sep 26, 2017 7:21 AM in response to erikschuring

Hey I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but I have had the same problem with a Kingston HyperX SSD. I was running EI CAPITAN as my main OS but upgraded my second drive to 10.12 Sierra and installed an RX 580. After this my HyperX SSD wasnt recognized. I tried switching HDD bays but still no go. I read online that I should reset SMC and PRAM by shutting down and unplugging the power for 15 sec and plugging in and waiting 5 seconds before booting. I reset PRAM as it was booting and my drive was recognized. Maybe you can give it a shot.

Installing an Intel 750 SSD in my mac pro 5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.