Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Mis-Calculating Drive Space/Corrupt Data

This weekend my computer was acting up, and I was noticing that it was taking finder forever to display the contents of a folder (the little pin-wheel in the lower right corner kept spinning and spinning). I had slowdowns like this in the past so I simply rebooted the machine.

Upon rebooting I opened up a finder window and things were back to being snappy, but noticed something odd. Finder was reporting that my 1TB SSD had over 280 TB (not GB, but TB) free. Obviously this was inaccurate. So I quickly booted up Disk Utility and verified my drive.

It caught several errors, mainly:
Incorrect number of file hard links

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks

Invalid volume free block count

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired

I went into slightly panic mode, but boot into the Yosemite recovery tools, opened up disk utility and ran the repair. It managed to fix everything, and once I booted back into OS X I ran Disk Utilities once more just to check and it was reporting no errors.

But it's STILL mis-calculating space. Mind you, I managed to "lose" 100 TB, and only am reporting 141 TB free.

Out of curiosity, I headed into "About this mac" and went to the storage tab, which is reporting 688 GB free of 999 (which is odd because before this weird bug showed up I should have been closer to about 720 GB), but it's showing "Backups" as 140 TB.

User uploaded file

On the plus side, I have a Time Machine backup, Backblaze running, and a clone from a few weeks ago before I upgraded to the latest version of Yosemite, but I am now a bit worried that my data is being corrupted.

Since I think I've done most of the easier fixes I booked a Genius Appointment for this Thursday just to be safe but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around the internet if anyone has encountered a similar issue. I did read that apparently there is a known issue with some builds of Yosemite causing corruption but it seemed like it was only for Beta releases and I'm only running official versions direct from the App Store.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.6 GHz Core i7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD

Posted on May 19, 2015 5:44 AM

3 replies

Finder Mis-Calculating Drive Space/Corrupt Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.