Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac screen adjustment has broken. Screen has drooped and tilted forward. 2 months out of warranty

hi

Has anyone had any luck getting Apple to accept responsibility for a design flaw whereby a 14 month old iMac has had its mechanism for angling the screen break? The screen simply droops forward now.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 19, 2015 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2015 7:07 AM

It seems you are not alone:

Design fault? 27" 2013 iMac stand just gave up!

9 replies

May 20, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Cavos99

Cavos99 wrote:

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday - May 19, 2015 - my 2013 iMac, 27", purchased in Dec 2013, gave a loud crack and screen fell forward.

Design flaw for sure. Apple should remedy free of charge.

Cavos99,

This is a user to user forum, Apple does not read these forums or comment on them. There is absolutely no reason to rant, simply take your machine in for repair at your local Apple Store and in most cases they will pay for this repair. Making demands will normally get push back, asking politely will likely get you further.

May 22, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Gasbag43

When I contacted Apple Support, I asked if this specific hinge malfunction was commonly reported.

The tech helping me said that he "had been doing [Apple Support work] for a long time," and that I was the second person to bring this issue to his attention.

But after a quick Google Search for 'iMac Hinge Broken' and clicking on the very first search result, I suspect that not to be the case....

ie.) The 49,491 views ... and the precise make and model listed.

User uploaded file

I, too, am no longer covered by the warranty by just 3 months. So reluctantly I contacted my nearest service provider to inquire about the cost for a repair. The provider told me that it would be a "lengthy procedure" due to the internal location of the hinge, to which I can only imagine will lead to a 'lengthy bill.'

I am more than satisfied with everything else my iMac provides. (That is, after I have tediously propped up the magnificent screen with weighty objects like books so I can comfortably view it.)

Going to be even more disappointed if this is a costly repair. I never expected Apple products to unexpectedly *SNAP* just months after the warranty ends. (Any theorists betting on Planned Obsolescence? For example, intentionally producing a product with a limited-lifespan design such as opting for cheaper soft metals in screws and bolted parts. Or for this case, using inexpensive plastic instead of higher-quality metal in crucial stress-bearing components. This intentionally increases the speed at which the product will break down, become inoperable through normal usage, rendering it prone for breakage and ultimately requiring replacement.)

After looking into the matter more throughly and seeing the amount of people who are dealing with the same specific product malfunction, I'm convinced that this is an unintentionally overlooked design flaw. But regardless of intent, this flaw critically effects the usability of the product and is significant enough to the product's quality that Apple should offer (at the very least) to pay for a portion of it's repair.

May 23, 2015 3:17 AM in response to rkaufmann87

A game of 2 halves, but with a happy ending. Bought the iMac from PC World 15 months ago. Neither their call centre or store were willing to consider any sort of goodwill after me spending £3k on 2 iMacs bought at that time - its out of warranty, they will do a fixed price repair plus cost of parts and that will take up to 2 weeks. When I pointed out that under European consumer legislation, any manufacturing defect offers cover of cost of repair for up to 6 years, I was given the address of their complaints department to write to (same story in store and through the call centre, so this is clearly "policy). I then went into the Apple store in Cribbs Causeway in Bristol and spoke to one of their Guru's. Came back an hour later having made an appointment and by then they had looked into the issue and before I had even started to complain, I was offered a free repair and the unit returned to me in 3-5 days (although the part is out of stock). The Guru I spoke to could not have been nicer, more professional, or empathetic. 5 Stars to Apple, and a loud and unpleasant raspberry to Dixons / PC World. Thank You Apple

iMac screen adjustment has broken. Screen has drooped and tilted forward. 2 months out of warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.