Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I install Snow Leopard to my Intel Tiger iMac?

I Tried using the disk to install snow leopard 10.6.3 on my iMac which is currently running Tiger. It is from 2006/2007 and I checked it is a 2 duo intel core processor but it just won't work?

I checked the memory and it is 1GB 667MHz or something like that and it have a speed of 2GHz

When I boot from the disk it connects t my Bluetooth mouse and let's me choose a language. At this point, the option bar at the top is greyed out so I can't click anything and a box appears saying I can't install OS X on this computer even though it's specs are in line with the requirements pretty much...

can anyone please tell me what is wrong? Do I need to do a wipe of my macintosh HD To make memory space or do I need to install leopard 10.5?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Upgrading to Snow Leopard

Posted on May 19, 2015 8:21 AM

8 replies

May 19, 2015 7:23 PM in response to CelineParisDior

No, you shouldn't need to erase the drive. I was just checking to make sure it wasn't Apple Partition Map as GUID is required for Snow Leopard and later.

The 1 GB would be your installed RAM, and not anything to do with the hard drive, which is storage space. You should put in more RAM, though. 1 GB on Snow Leopard is going to be really slow.

May 20, 2015 6:01 AM in response to CelineParisDior

With a 2 GHz processor speed and 667 MHz RAM speed, this is your exact model. Lion is the last OS you can install on that Mac, if you wanted to go any further than Snow Leopard. Though you'd then lose access to any PowerPC apps you use.

I would very much recommend upgrading the RAM in your Mac. A 3 GB upgrade kit is only $38. You would take out the two current 512 MB sticks and put these two new ones in. Just toss the old pieces of RAM. They aren't worth anything.

But yes, the Snow Leopard disk you purchased should work. I can't explain why it's stalling. As a thought, what Snow Leopard disk are you attempting to use? Is it the retail disk from Apple, or a gray disk from another Mac?

Why can't I install Snow Leopard to my Intel Tiger iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.