Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When two display ports are plugged in, one screen shrinks

Hi there,

have a bit of a strange issue going on with my mid 2012 Mac Pro - when I plug in my new LG Ultrawide monitor to the Macs display port output, my Asus monitor (plugged into the other Macs display port output) screen size shrinks and I can't seem to be able to change it back to full size. It's like it has an unnecessary black border around it.

Does anyone know how I can resize this? I've tried to change it in display settings but I can't seem to fix it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 12 core 2.4gHz, 12gb RAM

Posted on May 19, 2015 9:50 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2015 9:27 AM in response to sam152

All I can suggest is telling us what model of video card you have. Have you tried going into the display settings control panel and option-clicking on the scaled option...might be helpful, might not be./. Some models of card, when a monitor is plugged into port 2 (maybe 3, don't know about that) can only display up to a certain resolution and size, in some cases about 24" for the 2nd monitor, otherwise, probably give IIIaass' suggestions a try

JB

May 20, 2015 12:02 PM in response to sam152

Thanks guys, here's a bit more info:

Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

My LG monitor is 2560 x 1080

My Asus Monitor (which the display shrank on) is 2560 x 1440

I'm not using a mirrored display but when I do the same thing happens on the Asus.

I also have a DVI output from my graphics card - I'll maybe try using that to the Asus and see if that makes a difference; if I do that though would the quality be lower than if I were to use display port?

Thanks

Sam

When two display ports are plugged in, one screen shrinks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.