Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant failure with MBA to MB.

Received the new MacBook and followed the instructions to use migration assistant to move my data from my MBA to the new MB. Both computers could recognize each other, but the migration failed within 30 seconds of clicking the continue button. MA never got to the point where it asked what I wanted to migrate. The error was: "Migration Assistant has unexpectedly quit. Please try later." Trying at least a dozen times over the next five hours with no luck - exactly same results. Got Apple Tech help up to Level 2 support. They suspected it was a bad OS build, so they had me erase the OS and reload it from scratch. That took another hour. Re-tried migration assistant, but got exactly same result as before. Level 2 doesn't know what's going wrong. Cannot migrate with cable because the MB has only the one USB-C port and Migration Assistant requires that the computers be attached to power, not battery. The USB-C multiport (which would allow data and power transfer) is not available from Apple yet, so WIFI migration is the only option right now. Unfortunately had to return the MacBook. I can't afford the time drag in trying to figure out this problem. If anyone else has had this problem and been able to resolve it, please let me know. I might re-order the MacBook if I knew the problem was solvable.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 19, 2015 9:39 AM

9 replies

May 19, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Douglas Howe

Migration Assistant requires that the computers be attached to power, not battery.

That's not true. Migration can be done on battery power. You just don't want the battery to run out during the process.

See the part about making sure that you have a full charge when using USB: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204754

The USB-C multiport (which would allow data and power transfer) is not available from Apple yet,

That's not true too.

May 19, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Lanny

Interesting. Level 2 told me that it must be done on plug power. But if true that it can be done on battery power, it leaves me with the decision of whether to buy a USB-C to USB adapter for $25 and hope that I don't run out of power before it completes migration. Without a solution to the wifi migration problem, I'm still thinking it might be better to wait a year or 2 until Apple works the bugs out of the MacBook.

May 19, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Douglas Howe

You'll need to clone your old Mac to an external USB drive. Then that can be used as a source for either Setup or Migration assistant.

Your old MBA is not going to be seen as a source because it won't be seen as an external drive via USB.

If your MBA was placed in Target Disk mode, it couldn't be seen by the new Macbook because it doesn't have Firewire.

Ethernet would be a possibility if you had adapters for both the MacBook and the MBA.

Otherwise it's Wifi, and that would be slow.

Migration Assistant failure with MBA to MB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.