Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Mail, typing name of company produces obsolete email address

Associated with a company from which I regularly buy products online there are two email addresses, which I have entered into Contacts under the company's present name. If I open a new message page in Mail and type the company's present name into the address pane, what comes up is a non-existent email address associated with the company's old and obsolete name (which shares a key word with the present name). The two present emails do not come up at all.

In order to try to get rid of the obsolete email address, I used Spotlight to try to find where the obsolete address is located or stored, and when that produced nothing, I used EasyFind, which searches regions that Spotlight does not penetrate; I searched files, folders, file contents and invisibles. Nothing was found.

I should be grateful for any suggestions as to how to (a) stop the obsolete address from appearing in a new Mail message, and (b) make the right addresses appear.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 19, 2015 11:53 AM

9 replies

May 20, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Csound1

Most of my contacts, when they are companies and I have no names of individuals associated with them, are entered in Contacts as companies. That is what I was asking about in my previous post — they do not show up in Mail address panes.

Interestingly, in my iPhone (which I sync with my Mac by means of iTunes) they do appear in Mail address panes. Should they not also do so on the Mac? Or do I now have to go right through Contacts and change the indexing of all companies if I want them to show in Mail address panes?

In Mail, typing name of company produces obsolete email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.