Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook pro doesn't find the HD to upadate

Hello Apple Team,

I've tried to update the new system to YOSEMITE but i couldn't.

My HD looks weird, i can't format or erase, because show me as a Mac OS X install DVD.

I have searched on google many thing but non worked so far.

I hope get some help soon.

Thanks

Tiago

I really need some help with this issue.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on May 19, 2015 9:53 AM

15 replies

May 20, 2015 11:57 AM in response to TiaGoHi5

Your second image shows that 'This disk is used for Time Machine backups'. That suggests you have somehow used it for Time Machine. Is this the case?

At the root of this disk there will be a folder called "Backups.backupdb" if it is/ was used for Time Machine. Let us know if you have that.

I think that is the reason for not being able to install. You may need to remove that folder, however it is difficult to do because the Backups folder has many complex permissions controls.

You could try renaming the disk in Finder, but I doubt the name is the reason for it not being 'installable'. Do that by opening the 'computer' view in the Finders 'Go' menu, select the disk, tap enter to make it editable & rename it.

Another possibility is to create a USB bootable installer on another disk, then boot from that & see if the internal disk can be selected as an install destination…

Either of these will create a bootable installer…

http://diskmakerx.com/

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201372

Reboot holding alt, select the USB install disk & see if that can install to the internal.

If you have spare externals disks I would make a full backup first, it seems like you have a weird setup that may be safest to erase & start over with.

May 20, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece,

I Have good and bad news hehehe.

I Believe that the problem was in fact, my time machine backup was in that Hdd, i already deleted and I have my backup on my External Hd.

SInce I deleted the backup from "Mac OS X install DVD ". I could install the Yosemite, but whet I got the screen to cJose where to install it says that I don't have enough space. It is very weird because o have space for sure, And also if i go to disk utility I can't erase the Hd.

May 20, 2015 3:07 PM in response to TiaGoHi5

You can't erase a disk that is in use. All those images appear show Disk Utility when running from the OS installed on that disk.

If you want to erase that disk you will need to make a bootable USB installer or use recovery mode to startup. That will allow you to erase that partition (losing all data on that partition).

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

When you download & run the 10.10 installer it runs setup from within the startup disk - that is why it cannot be erased.

My Macbook pro doesn't find the HD to upadate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.