Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating new Apple ID

I checked if there is any Apple ID for my wife at Apple's website. Response was negative as she thought. I proceeded to creating one and entered her email address. Response was "You may already have one associated with this address".

My question is what to do from here to create an Apple ID. She wants to be reached by Facetime at the same email address.

Posted on May 19, 2015 10:12 AM

17 replies

May 19, 2015 3:19 PM in response to churin

I have just found that more appropriate title of this thread is "How to change Apple ID": Details of the situation are as follows:

My wife is using my Apple ID so that the primary email address for the ID is my email address.

I created a new Apple ID with a new primary address and switched to this ID for my iPhone and iPad.

Now she wanted to switch the primary email address to her own email address for the Apple ID she is using.

I am a newbie and appreciate your help sorting out this convoluted situation.

May 19, 2015 5:01 PM in response to churin

This has totally changed the context of the situation, and as such is a completely different question than originally presented.

If all she wants to do is change the primary E-Mail address of an Apple ID, you can log in to http://appleid.apple.com with said apple ID, and Click on Manage My Apple Id.

Then click on the small "Edit" text next to the Email address she wishes to change.

This however, has no bearing on what Email Address she can use to get FaceTime Calls on a Mac. You can specify FaceTime addresses in The FaceTime Preferences dialog directly on the computer.

Open FaceTime, click on the FaceTime menu option at the top of the screen, and in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at:" section, click on the Add Email button to add a new Email address that can be used to reach her.

May 19, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Phil0124

I could create a new Apple ID with her email address as the primary email address.

Now I assume she has to change the Apple ID to the new one on her FaseTime(iPhone & iPad) so that she can be reached by FaceTime at her own email address. Correct me if wrong.

How can I change the Apple ID for the FaceTme on her iPhone and iPad?

May 20, 2015 7:35 AM in response to churin

Again, the Apple ID being used to log in to FaceTime is unrelated to the address she can be reached at by Facetime. she can be logged in with your Apple Id, and still be Reached by FaceTime at her Email Address.

On an iPhone and an iPad, You can go to Settings->Facetime->You can be Reached by FaceTime At->

You can then Add the Email Address there.

Completely unrelated, you can change what Apple ID is logged into FaceTime there as well, and as such what list of addresses she can be reached at. Each Apple ID would have its own list of addresses.

However, if the Email is currently associated with an Apple ID, and you wish to use that Apple ID to log into FaceTime, you will need to find out its password. This again does not preclude the possibility of adding an email address to a different FaceTime Login.

May 21, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Phil0124

What does "Email address is associated with Apple ID" mean?

As the title of this thread says I could not create her own Apple ID because, the error message said, the Email address was associated with an Apple ID. I figured that that means her Email address was in the list on FaceTime by which she could be reached.

I removed her Email address from the list and I could create a new Apple ID using her Email address. I have since changed her log in Apple ID for FaceTime, iCloud, Messages, etc.

The reason why I wanted to change her log in Apple ID is that she complained that Safari bookmarks is synced to Firefox bookmarks on my desktop computer. I thought this was because she was using my Apple ID. Am I correct about this?

May 21, 2015 2:32 PM in response to churin

churin wrote:

What does "Email address is associated with Apple ID" mean?

Exactly that. Apple IDs can have several emails associated with them, That email address is either the primary email address for an existing Apple ID, or is being used as a recovery or alternate email address for an Apple ID.

churin wrote:

The reason why I wanted to change her log in Apple ID is that she complained that Safari bookmarks is synced to Firefox bookmarks on my desktop computer. I thought this was because she was using my Apple ID. Am I correct about this?

Yes. But each service, FaceTime, iCloud, iMessages, can have a different Apple ID.

You could sign out of the Apple ID from iCloud to prevent the bookmarks to be synced, but keep the Apple ID on FaceTime for instance.

You can go to http://appleid.apple.com Click on Manage Apple Id, and sign in with your Apple ID, and make sure her email address does not show up there in the Alternate Email addresses section.

May 21, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

churin wrote:

Yes. But each service, FaceTime, iCloud, iMessages, can have a different Apple ID.

You could sign out of the Apple ID from iCloud to prevent the bookmarks to be synced, but keep the Apple ID on FaceTime for instance.

You can go to http://appleid.apple.com Click on Manage Apple Id, and sign in with your Apple ID, and make sure her email address does not show up there in the Alternate Email addresses section.

If I sign out of the Apple ID from iCloud the bookmarks on my iPhone and iPad will not sync with the bookmarks on my PC. Correct?

It appears that if she wants to sync the bookmarks on her iPhone and iPad to her Windows PC, she has to log in iCloud using her Apple ID and turn on Bookmarks sync on the iCloud.

May 22, 2015 9:01 AM in response to churin

churin wrote:

If I sign out of the Apple ID from iCloud the bookmarks on my iPhone and iPad will not sync with the bookmarks on my PC. Correct?

Correct, they will not sync.

churin wrote:

It appears that if she wants to sync the bookmarks on her iPhone and iPad to her Windows PC, she has to log in iCloud using her Apple ID and turn on Bookmarks sync on the iCloud.

Correct again.

Creating new Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.