Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When iPhone 6Plus, with current iOS, syncs with iTunes, I'm told the updated apps aren't compatible

Since iTunes says this is a problem with my iPhone, I'm asking here instead of the iTunes board but I admit it may be iTunes.

My iPhone 6+ has 8.3 which is current.

Recently, if I update the apps via iTunes and attempt to sync, some of the apps are not updated and I get a message saying that the apps weren't installed because they are not compatible with the iOS version on my phone. It recommends updating the iOS on my phone.

If I then go and update them directly on the phone, the very same apps that iTunes said weren't compatible, update perfectly on the iPhone. Furthermore, if I now sync a second time, there are never any error messages. It syncs perfectly.

This doesn't happen with same apps each time since none have had two updates since this began but this has happened with at least one, sometimes more, each time I sync if there are apps in iTunes that are more up to date than those on the phone.

...and it doesn't happen with every app being updated. In other words, iTunes may gag on one or two but update the others happily.

Newest iPhone software and newest apps. Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong and why is this happening? (Yes, I know I could just continue to update via the phone itself.)

Thank you for your kind support.

Posted on May 19, 2015 11:42 AM

8 replies

May 19, 2015 2:58 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have done all the usual things like restarting everything, but only because I do that daily or every other day anyway. I've checked version numbers to see if iTunes lists a different version number for an app via iTunes or the iOS app. I have googled answers. I've searched my list of help sites.

I can't really think of anything else. I've been using Apple computers since before Macs and I thought I knew all the sources to go to for answers but each of the websites and boards I've been to have nothing posted like this. This makes me think it is something so outrageously obvious that I should be thumped for missing it. I have no ego about this so if it is obvious, I'll box my ears for you.

I know I have the most up-to-date versions of everything. That is why I'm baffled. iTunes reports that the iOS version on my phone is not compatible (in need of updating) in order to put an app on the phone which the phone is happy to put on itself without iTunes.

Something, somewhere, is perceiving the attached iPhone's software as out of date, even when we can see it is not. I assumed it was the iPhone telling an untruth to iTunes, but maybe it is an iTunes issue of incorrect interpretation of the attached iPhone.

May 20, 2015 6:37 PM in response to awejr

I am having the same problem. I am using iTunes on a Windows PC but the symptoms are the same. iTunes says app is not compatible with this iPhone. I'm using an iPhone 5 with the latest OS, 8.3. I've tried blowing out all my apps and downloading them again from the app store. I've tried doing a clean install of the OS on my phone. No luck. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

May 21, 2015 7:06 PM in response to hoodonline

I'm having this problem with my iPhone 5s.

iTunes is 12.1.2.27.

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit.

It seems that some (not all) updates that come in are being tagged as not compatible. The latest is Netflix app after today's update.

I am guessing that Apple has something wrong with their app registration server. I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes (a real pain to do) and had no luck.

May 21, 2015 7:55 PM in response to DFerr

So, I contacted Apple via phone. The person I spoke with was very helpful.

While there is no known or admitted issue with the iTunes app registration, she did give me a work around.

Delete the app from the device and download it again on the device. After I did this and re-synced with the PC, I no longer had the issue.

Hopefully, this goes away and is not a regular daily event for a while.

Good Luck

When iPhone 6Plus, with current iOS, syncs with iTunes, I'm told the updated apps aren't compatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.