Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am asked to enter the AirPlay code for "Apple TV". I never changed the settings, and even when i change the settings to have a code, I enter the code and it still won't connect.

I am asked to enter the AirPlay code for "Apple TV". I never changed the settings, and even when i change the settings to have a code, I enter the code and it still won't connect.

Apple TV

Posted on May 19, 2015 11:25 AM

11 replies

May 31, 2015 9:12 AM in response to dudestuch

Update: AirPlay spontaneously started working, several minutes after any dialog box appearance or input... But unfortunately it mirrored the display on the TV and MBP in such a way that I could not scroll down to the bottom of the browser window in order to adjust the size setting for the NBA League Pass window to select a game to play. So I turned off AirPlay, plugged in an HDMI cable - and experienced the same result. Useless. I tried again to screencast through AirPlay and again it popped the code dialog. POS. Hopefully Apple will fix the bug. Wonder if I can roll back to an earlier Apple TV OS version... (A topic for another thread.)

BTW, my problem has nothing to do with the one described by @jjkraw, although others may relate; I can see and select the Apple TV in the AirPlay list just fine; it just doesn't connect properly.

Mar 11, 2017 8:09 AM in response to dudestuch

When I try to connect, it asked for a password I never set one.

Then I went to the airplay setting under tv, there were two devices one had lock icon around it, I think it means it's somehow locked to something. I can't remove it, I can't reset the password. I can't connect to it as well.

PS: I never connected a mac to this Apple TV, just my iPhone and iPad.

Can someone one have any idea how to fix it please ?

Thank you

May 21, 2015 11:26 AM in response to dudestuch

Hello, dudestuch.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you are required to enter an AirPlay code and your device will not connect. A code is only required when Onscreen Code or Require Device Verification is selected in the Security setting of AirPlay. I would disable these feature and see if you are able to connect your device to your Apple TV. If the issue persists, try going through the device and network troubleshooting steps in the article below.

Apple TV: Basic troubleshooting

-Jason H.

May 26, 2015 9:47 PM in response to jason269

This is an ongoing problem and is not due to misconfiugration etc. My Apple TV has started prompting me for an airplay code as of today. The device is set to have no security. I have set it to have a password and tried to connect that way but the device never connects after I enter the password. Needless to say I have rebooted everything and made sure there is no RF interference. This seems to be a software glitch in the Apple TV.

May 30, 2015 11:15 AM in response to aheirich2

Jeez, I have the same thing happening.

I bought a new Apple TV, hooked it up today, updated to the latest software, and I can't AirPlay to it from my MacBook Pro -- a dialog box appears on the MacBook Pro asking me to enter the code. Of course, security was set to none, so there should be no code. I changed it to a password, and entered that password in the code dialog, but it didn't work, just sat there without even resolving to a code/password failure message. It's *possible* the website itself causing issues, as it is NBA League Pass, which may -- in an iOS app -- prevent AirPlay. But even that is not clear; the NBA League Pass has for the past 5 years been plagued by bad communication.

May 30, 2015 1:02 PM in response to dudestuch

If nothing else seems to work, it might be worthwhile to do a "Reset all settings" and start from scratch again configuring the system. I just did that to help figure out this issue and it wasn't a monumental task getting the ATV back where it was (but I do recommend using an iPhone or iPad with the Remote app once it comes times to enter IDs and passwords).

Also, if you plan on using AirPlay and want it to wake the ATV from sleep mode (without having to use the remote), take a look at the end of the thread I linked above. We found out (at least three of us did) that an additional remote control needed to be programmed to get that to work properly. Actually, you might try doing that if you don't have a remote programmed before any resets as it seemed to fix one AirPlay problem (and, no, I can't logically explain why it worked).

Jun 7, 2015 12:56 PM in response to dudestuch

I just called Apple and they said the issue was with my MacBook Pro display and it was a simple fix.

1) shut down the computer and be sure it is plugged into a power source

2) After off, hold down all these keys for five seconds: shift, control, option and power button (nothing will appear on your screen if done correctly - the laptop will not power up, but it does re-set)

3) Now this takes a quick and deliberate act - prepare to hold down these keys all at the same time: option, command, R and P. Then hit the power button and immediately hold down all those keys - you will hear the startup sound, keep holding them down until the second startup sound and then let all go

4) The laptop will boot up normally. Log in and then open up system preferences, go to displays, under airplay display, select apple tv and it should connect

That should fix this issue!

Jul 31, 2015 5:24 PM in response to dudestuch

Hi,

I had the same problem, it asked a password although I didn't enabled a password. After trying several options I discovered the problem. It only asked a password when I tapped 2 times on "connect apple tv". I tapped 2 times because it didn't work after the first time, but you just have to wait en be patient. When I tapped just once and waited, after a minute the macbook connected with apple tv like usual. So just try tapping 1 time and not twice and have a little patience!

Sep 30, 2015 8:44 PM in response to dudestuch

If you are having this issue with a mac then you might have something going on in your keychain. There is a simple fix to this, follow the instructions below.

1. Open Keychain Access

2. Search "apple tv" in keychain access

3. Delete the device from the keychain access

4. Quit keychain access

5. Try to connect to apple tv

6. Enter in admin password (when it asks for login keychain)

7. Enter apple tv password to connect

Jun 11, 2016 3:30 AM in response to dudestuch

I had the same problem just now. I use AppleTV 4 and MacBook Pro. I had no security password/code but I've been prompted for one when I tried to connect. When I switched on the code option in Apple TV and typed in the one that showed, it was said to be incorrect.

I fixed it by resetting first Apple TV in settings and then restarting my computer.

It started working without asking for code.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.