Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All songs on iPod are greyed out with dotted circle

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I updated both my iPod (touch 5th generation) and laptop with the lasted ios software and since then all the music I have purchased or put onto my account manually with a CD has just gone grey with a dotted circle next to it when I click on the 'On This Device' 'Music' tab.

Having spoken to Apple people online I now have no music on my iPod and the music that is on my laptop is not syncing and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips/advice on what to do?

Thanks

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 19, 2015 12:48 PM

4 replies

May 25, 2015 9:38 AM in response to CRM97

I've been having this exact same problem. I tried everything from the different checking / unchecking of boxes.

Eventually I tried to back up my music, then delete all the music in iTunes and importing it all back in. But this was to no avail.

But then what did work was:

1) In the settings part of your device click Music

2) Un-click sync music

3) Click the "Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres option" rather than the entire music library.

4) All the greyed out songs that you are getting under music on your iPod, put these under a new playlist on your iTunes.

5) Now select the playlist with all the music that would not properly sync beforehand (Within the Music section under settings in your device).

6) Click the option "Automatically fill free space with songs"

7) Sync

Hopefully this works for you, I have the same version iPod and same iOS - Running on a 2010 Macbook Pro with OS X Yosemite.

All songs on iPod are greyed out with dotted circle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.