Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Won't format?

In the past, my computer has had numerous problems, but every single one of them I have managed to work around. However, this one seems impossible. I installed Windows 8.1 a few months ago, after a whole my windows OS became corrupt. So I tried to wipe the partition. This worked...almost...I tried to reinstall windows and it was stuck partitioning. So I just gave up. Then I shut down my computer that night. When I brought it back up it took an unusually long time to start up. Then after a few minutes it showed a windows 8 logo. I was spooked by this. I thought I might've been dreaming. Then it showed the windows installation. So I continued on with it. But the strange part was there were EIGHT PARTITIONS TO SELECT!! I formatted all of them and instantly it said "Format complete". I found this strange because it usually took at least 10 seconds to format a partition. When I tried to select one of them after formatting them it said that the partition was not formatted properly. I was stuck on that screen. So finally I decided to force shut down my computer and wipe the windows partition...again. I'm about to try again, before I get to where I'm stuck I will need a prepared solution before I run into it. Does anyine know why I have multiple partitions and why they won't format correctly?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 19, 2015 2:30 PM

2 replies

Won't format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.