Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone explain AirPlay to me? (iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air)

SO, I have an iPhone 6 Plus that when I mirror on my Apple TV, it fits perfectly, no black lines, perfectly fills my Samsung 55". But when I do the same settings, same video with my iPad Air, it doesn't fill and leaves black borders. I understand aspect ratios and all that, but the iPhone has a smaller aspect ratio, why does it work better with AirPlay? Just curious. Appreciate any explanations that can be offered.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 19, 2015 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2015 4:47 PM

iPhone 6 Plus has a 16:9 ratio (same as your TV). The iPad is 4:3. When mirrored it will display in the same dimensions. If you want it to fill the screen you can use your TV's settings to stretch but this will cause distortion and/or crop the image.

5 replies

May 19, 2015 6:10 PM in response to vazandrew

Ahh, that makes sense. I feel like there should be a way that Apple can translate the iPad display with AirPlay better than how it is right now. I know with my iPad, certain apps fit my TV perfectly with the media player (xfinity and dish network) during AirPlay. Why cant normal videos fit like it does when I'm streaming from those apps?

Can someone explain AirPlay to me? (iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.