Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestion for wireless network extension?

I have a Verizon Jetpack 6620L as my source of wifi.

I have (apparently) configured an Airport Extreme to extend the Jetpack signal.

My main objective in connecting AE to the Jetpack is to make the Extreme's ethernet ports useful.

It isn't working. Items attached to the AE ports (especially my Obi voip device) are not working.

Why?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 19, 2015 6:31 PM

7 replies

May 19, 2015 6:35 PM in response to Satchmo

You cannot extend a non-Apple network router with an Apple Airport device. If you wish to extend your current Wi-Fi network then you might try using an Amped SR300 or SR600 depending on how far you need to go and what interferences are in the way.

To use the AEBS to extend the network you need to place it in the vicinity of where you want the Wi-Fi to be available, then run an Ethernet cable from the AEBS' WAN port to one of the LAN ports on your Jetpack router.

May 19, 2015 6:43 PM in response to Satchmo

The AirPort Extreme is not extending the signal at all. If it were, the Ethernet ports would be active.

The Extreme might have "joined" the network, but it does not do anything when it does this, since it performs no routing functions.....the Ethernet ports are not enabled.

Unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme can only "extend" a network when it connects to a wireless signal provided by another Apple router.

If the JetPack has an Ethernet port, you could connect the AirPort Extreme that way. Post back if you need more details on this.

Ironically, the less expensive AirPort Express can "join" a network and the Ethernet ports will be enabled. This is a special feature limited only to the AirPort Express....and is not documented in Apple support documents.

May 20, 2015 4:58 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

You cannot extend a non-Apple network router with an Apple Airport device. If you wish to extend your current Wi-Fi network then you might try using an Amped SR300 or SR600 depending on how far you need to go and what interferences are in the way.

To use the AEBS to extend the network you need to place it in the vicinity of where you want the Wi-Fi to be available, then run an Ethernet cable from the AEBS' WAN port to one of the LAN ports on your Jetpack router.

The problem arises because the Jetpack has no ethernet port. There are apparently non-Apple routers that can be connected to the Jetpack via USB.

May 20, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

The AirPort Extreme is not extending the signal at all. If it were, the Ethernet ports would be active.

The Extreme might have "joined" the network, but it does not do anything when it does this, since it performs no routing functions.....the Ethernet ports are not enabled.

Unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme can only "extend" a network when it connects to a wireless signal provided by another Apple router.

If the JetPack has an Ethernet port, you could connect the AirPort Extreme that way. Post back if you need more details on this.

Ironically, the less expensive AirPort Express can "join" a network and the Ethernet ports will be enabled. This is a special feature limited only to the AirPort Express....and is not documented in Apple support documents.

I have an antiquarian Express. I'll try it. I really just need to be able to connect the Obi device that I use with Google Voice for a home phone.

Suggestion for wireless network extension?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.