Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use my iPhoto backups on Photos Yosemite?

I have two big iPhotos backups in a external hard drive and I don't now how to see my pictures. Always I try to open a iPhoto backup, a message say that isn't compatible with Yosemite. I know that and the new Photos has migrated all local pictures from iPhoto to Photos. But how about the backups in my hard drive? How to access tons of pictures that I have there? Please, somebody help me. 😕

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.3, iPhoto backup

Posted on May 19, 2015 6:06 PM

5 replies

May 23, 2015 11:10 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you Larry. I've tried holding down the option button, but a message emerges saying that my backup is stored in a disk that uses an incompatible disc format. It's not true! It's compatible and it's ready to read and write files. It's the same external hd I was using before to upgrade my OS Yosimite.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help. 😟

May 24, 2015 11:04 AM in response to rogerfreire

Although iPhoto would work with libraries located on formats other than OS X Extended (journaled) they would fail at some time. However, Photos checks the format of the volume that the library is on and won't open it if it's not correct.

You may have to copy your libraries from that EHD to one that is correctly formatted before Photos will even attempt to open and convert it.

User uploaded file

How to use my iPhoto backups on Photos Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.